RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT! Ubuntu Remix by MM
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT! Ubuntu Remix by MM  (Read 7416 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT! Ubuntu Remix by MM
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »

Post comments here, create a new post in this section for questions and troubleshooting.
Project Page:
http://sourceforge.net/u/mrgizmo757/profile/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:19:04 PM by Spatry »
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline MrGizmo757

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
Re: RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT! Ubuntu Remix by MM
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:36:56 PM »
Ubuntu 14.04 dose not come with ffmpeg, nor is it in the Repositories.  I have found a solution. 

add these two repositories. 

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samrog131/ppa

Then sudo apt-get update
and sudo apt-get upgrade

Then use synaptic package manager, search for ffmpeg and install what you need,
You could use sudo apt-get install ffmpeg, but there are many different things that you
may also need, such as ffmpeg for gstreamer, or chromium, there are many things associated with
ffmpeg. so i recommend using synaptic so you are sure you get everything you need. ;)

Also for DVD playback for Region one DVD's ( usa ) you will need the CSS decoding libraries.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras libavcodec-extra

sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Offline YellowBanana3

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:01:14 PM »
Matthew,
I booted up and installed this remix but am having a big problem. I cannot preform administrative actions; and therefore cannot use any sudo commands.This is because I am logged in as "Ubuntu" by default and I cannot make a new account because I don't have the password to the ubuntu account. Here is a example of me typing a random command:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for ubuntu:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for ubuntu:

What is the password to the ubuntu account?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline MrGizmo757

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 12:02:20 AM »
The password is linux.  its in the release notes. and i tell you what it is in the video too.  And when you install it, it prompts you to create a password and user.  if you do nothing then you end up with the same stuff from the live CD. Next time slow down a bit.  read the release notes on the project page before jumping in head first. it will save you some troubles.

Offline Peter

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »
Hi Matthew,
Thanks very much for your remix and dual boot videos!  They are extremely helpful!  Regarding dual boot: What do you advise regarding sharing apps and documents between, say, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04?  For example, should I use 2 Firefoxes with 2 separate bookmark lists?  As well, how best to setup directories so that Word or LibreOffice can access the same file?  Or, is it better to keep separate, redundant copies in each OS (The better to avoid proliferation of Windows viruses into the Linus environment, perhaps) ?  Thanks again.

Offline Kueller

• Spatry's Security Guard
  • Staff Member
Re: Re: RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT! Ubuntu Remix by MM
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 03:20:34 AM »
Hi Matthew,
Thanks very much for your remix and dual boot videos!  They are extremely helpful!  Regarding dual boot: What do you advise regarding sharing apps and documents between, say, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04?  For example, should I use 2 Firefoxes with 2 separate bookmark lists?  As well, how best to setup directories so that Word or LibreOffice can access the same file?  Or, is it better to keep separate, redundant copies in each OS (The better to avoid proliferation of Windows viruses into the Linus environment, perhaps) ?  Thanks again.

Linux can access your Windows partition, so if you want shared document files it's best to keep them on the Windows document, then you can edit them on both systems.

I personally keep 2 versions of Firefox. Mostly the same, you can export your bookmarks if you want. I think there's a way to sync your browser settings across platforms but I haven't used it.