terminal tutorial
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: terminal tutorial  (Read 3842 times)

Offline blindpcguy

• mac and linux tie windows next
terminal tutorial
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
i need help learning the terminal any tips will be great.  videos hopefuly bt text will work as well
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Master Yoda

Offline sockrates

Re: terminal tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
Check out 'How to: User Submissions' in this section of the forum.

There is one called   a newbie guide part 1: get used to the terminal http://www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/index.php/topic,492.0.html   by orestisfra.

Its worth checking out, I found it usefull

Offline blindpcguy

• mac and linux tie windows next
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »
awsome thanks i apriciate you linking me to it hopefully soon i will fly on it i also heard that linux terminal is simular to os x terminall
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Master Yoda

Offline sockrates

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
I'm in the process of learning it myself. Once I grasp the basics I should be good to go. Orestisfra does a pretty good job explaining the different commands for us noobs to be starting off with!

Maybe this youtubes link will get you on the right path also. Here's one by SysAdmGirl  newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imDrXVVHowU#ws [nonactive]

Offline orestisfra

• The Problem Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »
lol!! sockrates i'm also a noob! we learn together! i use linux since december 2013! nice video by the way...
you're talking to a young guy who's thirst for knowledge is major, inexhaustible and boundless! and he knows nothing!

Offline sockrates

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
lol!! sockrates i'm also a noob! we learn together! i use linux since december 2013! nice video by the way...

How did you learn the command line so quick?! I bought 'the linux bible' and I'm learning alot from that.. and making a few mistakes also haha. Its frustrating at times, after being used to windows for so long but im glad to be rid of it now and exploring the linux world.

I learned alot about windows only to learn that I know nothing about linux ;)

Offline orestisfra

• The Problem Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »

I learned alot about windows only to learn that I know nothing about linux ;)

i also did that. well i learned linux the hard way! i put arch ;D ;D ;D i ended up having a damaged system, then i put a bunch of versions of ubuntu, then a bunch of versions of linux mint and finally i kept linux mint 13 as it was more stable and less possible to ruin everything! all these in just a week or 2. pour laptop... 6 formats to the HDD in just 1 week! finally i saw some videos, asked some friends, read some tutorials... now i know some basic staff about linux.
you're talking to a young guy who's thirst for knowledge is major, inexhaustible and boundless! and he knows nothing!

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
I definitely have to agree on using Arch to learn the terminal, and Gentoo is even better for it, but much more time consuming. For that matter, you can learn a lot in any distro by just switching to tty1-tty6. Very useful, especially for trouble shooting. If you stop xorg from loading on boot, it'll really force you to learn a lot, and shave a few seconds off boot time ;) (though I'd recommend installing w3m or links or something first so you can use Google from the command line lol).
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1