HELLO From Spatry!
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: HELLO From Spatry!  (Read 22496 times)

Offline battleborn

Re: HELLO From Spatry!
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
I have been using Manjaro for a few months now, thanks for all the guidance on youtube and though it was about time I came to cupoflinux , again thank you.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »
Welcome battleborn... nice to have you with us!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline maxthemerc11

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »
Just wanted to say hello and I followed you here from your YouTube breadcrumb trail lol My name is Cory or you can just say Max if you want. I messaged on YouTube but haven't checked for a reply. Glad to be here! Finishing my network degree and I have Linux as a class...dabbled some last year...love Private Internet Access and the Linux setup video you made...50 Mbps I pay for and I get up to 163 Mbps!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »
Welcome Cory. If you messaged me on youtube, odds are I have not read the comment... Since Youtube took control away from users; allowing anyone to post just about anything, I decided to add a bunch of language/ascii art filters and washed my hands clean from their messaging system. I decided to set up a forum where people may interact. Be sure to have a look around. We have a lot of great features on here which is more than what I could offer on my Youtube channel.

Offline HULK

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
hi sparty i came to this site and regestered after watching u r video at youtube 

i am new to Linux    dont know anything abt linux 

where can i download  open SUSE  

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
Hey HULK,
LMGTFY (well, or look it up on DuckDuckGo):
DDG: OpenSUSE
Google: OpenSUSE
OpenSUSE Website
OpenSUSE is a beautiful Distribution and certainly suitable for new users. Have fun with it :)

Offline charliemoss

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 03:51:13 AM »
Hi Sparty,
It's amazing how far you've come in the past five years and what you've done with the domain I registered.
I've dumped Apple and I'm back on Linux. WooHoo!
"I'm not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
A lot of love went into the site. Thanks to contributions from members on this site, we were able to add a lot of great features. Thanks for dropping in to say hello, Charlie!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 12:58:09 AM »
ive used all of them and with that machine shouldnt have any issues running anyone of them cause i have the dell inspiron 5050 with the core i3 at 2.3 ghz quadcore
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline FOSS-user

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »
Hi Spatry, I was given/pointed to your site by someone on one of my regular Linux forums.

Been an Open Source users since 1999, (RedHat 4.2/5.0 & Debian 2.1), but didn't get involved with the community much until I got broadband 5 years ago.

I post in various Linux & BSD forums, (under different names, 'just because' they were what I signed in as).

I'm liking your BSD sub section, thanks for letting us BSD users have somewhere else to converse. :)
Linux since 1999, & now OpenBSD.

Offline eatmorekale

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2015, 11:57:14 AM »
First time here.  I have been experimenting many  Linux distros for years and am still stuck with Windows.  After reviewing the many security and privacy issues with the Preview version of Windows Ten I realized that "it's time" to give it up and get seriously involved with Linux.  So far my main Linux experience has been with Puppy linux.  

I think many of us Windows users must figure out how to help other disaffected Windows 8 and 10 users make the transition to Linux.  I have been using Oracle Virtual Box most of the time, mounted on Windows 7 Pro, but most "Windows only" users won't  feel comfortable with this strategy: Windows desktop for most applications and Linux distro of choice on the Virtual Box.

I have tried Rufus installed Linux ISO's on thumb drives.  It's great for FAST security and Privacy with emails and web surfing only using the Tails 1.5 release. When using any Windows pc--hit f2, change boot order, save and apply, reboot insert USB Tails flash drive and away you go. EXCEPT WINDOWS 10   Now what?  Also Oracle Virtual Box will not run on Windows Ten.

Here is my interim solution:  On WINDOWS 7 and Windows 8 PC's only.
Elememntary OS is another Ubuntu based distro---that is SUPER Easy for any Windows AND Apple OSX  user to use.  It's desktop is both Windows- like and OSX- like but has NO TERMINAL knowledge is required.  The problem? Poor or no Elementary OS instructions how to partition a Windows HDD using GParted so that any Windows user can EASILY and INTUITIVELY  install Elementary OS and Dual boot with an EXISTING Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation.

Thank you SPATRY!! I found an EXCELLENT Youtube tutorial by SPATRY on using Gparted to properly partition an existing Windows install ( Not WIN Ten) for a DUAL boot configuration for Manjaro.  Thank YOU Thank you thank you! I am incorporating this tutorial with a lesson plan to teach Windows users to Dual boot with Elementary OS.

I have had continuing successful Dual boot set ups on many different desktops with Windows 7 or 8 and Elementary OS.

But I was thinking?  Elementary Linux -Freya- will only TEASE Windows users --if they are serious. The new Elementary -Loki will not be ready until 2017.

I have been thinking--why not try Manjaro-Cup Of Linux mCole  08.11 instead?
I don't know!  But I am so grateful to Spatry about the Dual Boot Youtube instructions ( Windows and Manjaro)  I think I will try it!

If I decide Manjaro mCole is better, get ready for some Cup Of Linux coffee mug and T shirt orders.

There is not enough space to reveal what I have learned about Windows Ten issues.  I read the rules on this board and will comply.  Here is a hint:  I have many home built personsal computers, and like to have a set up of the major Windows versuions just to help others.  After thoughtful consideration---all of my PC  Windows Ten PC hard drives have been wiped clean---with many wipes.  It's TIME FOR LINUX.  

I'll visit ions and data that they have paid for and BCole 0.8.11
Feel free to email me with any suggestions:  Goal: A way to promote Linux to Windows users who a) want to use the EXISTING applications AND data they already have AND have Security,Privacy,and  limited therats from malware, worms and  viruses.

After a few days of diligent work, I have not been able to Dual boot Manjaro-Cup Of Linux- mCole with Win 7 Pro.

I give up on Manjaro mCole,  but Elementary -Linux Freya works fine.

Eat More Kale
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:15:13 PM by eatmorekale »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind message and welcome to the community, eatmorekale! Cheers!

Offline RoundDuckMan

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »
Not to bother you, but what happened to your YouTube Channel, for a while I thought you abandoned your channel or died, or something. Nice to see you're fine? But still what are you going to do with your channel?  :-\

Offline vincentwest

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2015, 12:41:32 AM »
Well, I'm new to Linux.  Hopefully you guys will be able to help me take my first steps with this operating system.

Your site looks great, by the way.  Good job.

Offline LINUX4ALL

• Like Linux...there is no other
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
Hi there Spatri...im Alex and a have an problem....were are you man....wat is hapening...you haven't  bedn on youtube fom monts now....whi?...are you ok?...please giveme in email or somtging....mi adres is gj03sac872@gmail.com..please giveme an answer so dat i known you  fine..thank's
GJ03SAC