A tough question maybe.
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: A tough question maybe.  (Read 2627 times)

Offline 8BitZtunerYT

A tough question maybe.
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
Hey Spat, how would you react if Wine and Microsoft would corporate together and share code?
And what would the ReactOS team do since they work together (as far as I know)?
Proud member of the Cup of Linux community.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: A tough question maybe.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50:15 AM »
That would NEVER happen... Microsoft wants you to use their operating system. If people could go out and buy software which would run on Linux or a Mac using wine software, they would not need Microsoft. I would not be surprised if there are software developers who will intentionally ensure their software will NOT work in WINE just to keep Microsoft happy! In a world where planned obsolescence is running rampant, it is not profitable to make software which never expires. It is well known that WINE will breathe NEW life into older software allowing you to run obsolete programs on an OS that never expires.

Macromedia studio 8 is magnificent software, but it will not run on the latest version of Windows. I am running it today on Linux and I expect I will get MANY MANY more years of creative use out of that software, long after the CS4 or CS5s from Adobe start collecting dust! I worry about the day when they will start coding mechanisms into the software itself which will prevent a program from running after a certain date. I am sure WINE will adapt should that ever happen LOL
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline InactiveUser

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:09:34 AM »
As Spatry said, it would never happen. Microsoft is just too evil. I even had to do a number of tricks to install certain stuff on wine.

Offline bvincent

• Tech news blog | Web Development | Computer Consulting | Genius Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:31 AM »
Microsoft will never let you use there software on linux or any free (and open source) OS. and after the new CEO things just
got WORSE for example secure boot it will not allow you to use linux. :'(

Offline InactiveUser

Re: Re: A tough question maybe.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 12:41:37 AM »
Microsoft will never let you use there software on linux or any free (and open source) OS. and after the new CEO things just
got WORSE for example secure boot it will not allow you to use linux. :'(

Pretty sure there is a way to kill secure boot. Maybe there isn't one now but eventually there will be.