Linux And Hardware Youtube Video Trouble
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Linux And Hardware Youtube Video Trouble  (Read 242 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Linux And Hardware Youtube Video Trouble
« on: July 03, 2021, 12:56:24 PM »
When I'm trying to watch some videos on youtube, I'm experiencing some kind of video Jitter, or Stutter?  (I'm not sure what to call it) The objects in the video don't play smooth.  They jump around in a jittery sort of way.  But In Windows 10 they play nice and smooth.  Do you know what could be causing this?

It doesn't seem to be driver.  I got the same trouble with both onboard graphics and nvidia graphics.  I also tried both the opensource nvidia driver and the latest nvidia driver.  Just now I even tried a different distro and got the same problem.  Last night I even went so far as to install Linux Mint 20.1 xfce and then install cinnamon desktop so that I could check between the two DEs.  Both gave me the same trouble.

I guess until someone watches these videos and tells me the proper term, I'm going call it "video jitter".

Two Links to my video comparisons:  You can really notice it, once the turtle swims into view.

Linux Jitter
https://youtu.be/JrLIcJKgBtc

Windows no Jitter
https://youtu.be/DzRK7GgrMRQ

Hardware specs:
Code: [Select]
System:
  Kernel: 5.9.16-pclos3 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0
  Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: PCLinuxOS 2021
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z170M-PLUS v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter>
  UEFI-[Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 3805 date: 05/16/2018
CPU:
  Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-6600K bits: 64 type: MCP
  arch: Skylake-S rev: 3 cache: L2: 6 MiB
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
  bogomips: 27999
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800
  3: 800 4: 800
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] vendor: eVga.com.
  driver: nvidia v: 450.102.04 bus-ID: 01:00.0
  Display: server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: nvidia,v4l
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.102.04
  direct render: Yes
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Linux And Hardware Youtube Video Trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 06:13:12 PM »
did you try a distro with a newer kernel gregory might be something stupid as a kernel issue. my dell when i 1st gotten had a screen lockup thing it would do i use fedora 34 at 1st it only happen every so often but since newer kernel updates it hasn't acted up.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »
I had that same jitter... try turning on compositing on your desktop and see if there is a difference if it is on , try turning it off... also look at the nvidia control panel for the option on screen tearing.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 12:20:30 PM »
Oops!  I forgot to turn the notify button on.  Doh!

Ever since I started posting about this, I've been receiving lots of suggestions from the Linux Mint community.  I've also been discussing this with TOS, and Joe Collins.  I'm probably going to end up removing the nvidia card and just use the onboard skylake graphics until I might buy an AMD card replacement.  There is one thing that I haven't tried yet.  Going directly to nvidia's website, downloading the run file and installing that way.

I tried adjusting so many different things, that I'm not sure I can remember them all.  I checked for screen tearing, and that was fine.  I messed around with all the nvidia settings, one by one.  None of them made any difference.

I will share with you guys something very weird.  POP OS 20.04 works with the nvidia card, right out the box!  That is, until you need to update chromium.  The original chromium browser for POP OS is a deb package.  But the replacement is a flatpak.  The flatpak makes it get all jumpy again.

When I was trying out POP OS!  I thought I found a solution.  I looked at the specs and decided to try configuring Linux Mint in much the same way.  I updated the kernel from 5.4 to 5.11 kinda like POP is running.  It made absolutely no difference.  So far the only solution that has worked for me, is use a fresh install of Linux Mint XFCE and just run the skylake graphics.  The reason for the fresh install, is because something weird happened to my main install.  I think the nvidia driver on the system causes the skylake graphics to screen tear when they wouldn't normally.  Whenever I test the skylake graphics out on a Linux Mint XFCE Live disc or just make a new install to a test drive the screen tearing on the skylake just magically goes away.  Also the skylake doesn't jitter like the nvidia is.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 08:36:28 PM »
sounds to me like it's a flatpak issue gregory you may want to report it to them so they see what happened.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 10:00:18 AM »
sounds to me like it's a flatpak issue gregory you may want to report it to them so they see what happened.

It wouldn't surprise me, every flatpak or snap that I needed to use gave me trouble. I'm not sure if I should report it to POP OS or to whoever is maintaining the flatpak.  BTW I don't have my camcorder anymore, so I can't make a new video.  If you noticed in those videos there is a black line down the left side of the screen.  I only had that camcorder for one week and it did that.  Today I shipped it back to the company for my warranty.  I should get a replacement in a week or so.