Largest data breach in recent history...
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Largest data breach in recent history...  (Read 192 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Largest data breach in recent history...
« on: June 10, 2021, 11:13:00 PM »
Several sites have been reporting this, a quick Google search revealed this article.

I unfortunately have been one of the many affected by this, and thus need to go around all over the internet and remedy this situation. To be honest, this has been a long time coming, and a big no no that I know better than is to not use the same, simple passwords on multiple websites, but.....you know how it goes.

Before I get this project started, who out there knows of a good password manager that's cross platform, preferably open source (but understandably not recommended), and possibly free as in cost? Or how about overall the best password manager/generator?

In the mean time, I'll start my own research to see what options are out there, but I'd really like to hear everyone's input. Plus sharing is caring, as ya do.
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Largest data breach in recent history...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 07:40:58 AM »
How will we know if we were affected by the breach? I might have, some simpleton sent me a note in my SPAM BOX wanting to extort $3000 out of me because they know a password I used in the past for a throwaway account I created LOL. I did not respond and deleted the email since gmail marked it as dangerous.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: Largest data breach in recent history...
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 02:30:01 AM »
The universally accepted way is to check https://haveibeenpwned.com/, and I wouldn't worry about those emails. Those kind of attacks rely heavily on getting inside your head. Check the website to be safe, and ignore the email otherwise.

The website is very reputable and well known among us tech savvy people. They've been around for quite some time too, something like 10+ years I think. The way I found out about the breach is because Google wouldn't stop yelling at me about my passwords being compromised, so I eventually looked into it, and for sure, I got "pwned" as they say.

BTW, I discovered a password manager that suites my needs very well! Bitwarden. Cross platform, Excellent password generator, Free and Paid, Local program and Web Browser extensions, able to import existing passwords and logins from Firefox and Chrome, and if you want a paid subscription, it's only $10 per YEAR. I said screw it and gave them some money, they deserve it!
What else is really cool about Bitwarden is that I found it in Fedora's software center, all I had to do was click "Install". Needless to say I'm happy with it, and I recommend it for anyone looking for a password manager.
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage