Any guitarists in the house?
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Any guitarists in the house?  (Read 955 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Any guitarists in the house?
« on: March 09, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »
As mentioned on the FRONT PAGE: I will be bringing a new MINI SERIES called "Guitars and Linux" I will optimize jack to work with Pulseaudio and enable realtime processing without needing to use a RT kernel. Also, I will show how jack can co-exist with pulse. I plan on demonstrating Guitarix, Rakarrack, hydrogen, Qjackctl and more. Admittedly, I do not have experience with Ardour and one of these days I need to bite the bullet and learn it. I also want to demonstrate the installation and use of the Valeton GP-100 multieffects processor. I can confirm that it works beautifully on linux (with some tinkering) and the configuration software for it works flawlessly in wine. I still have a few issues getting things setup how I want them so that they are behaving nicely in OBS. I am hoping to get filming started on this soon...

For now, I am interested in knowing if any musicians in this community have an audio workstation and which applications do you enjoy using most?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UWW3cSURyE
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
Re: Any guitarists in the house?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 12:03:13 PM »
I wish I did have stuff to assist and am excited about this venture for you. This will be fun for our community. 
Joe Johnston
Linux Lite

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 11:38:21 PM »
Coming soon: Guitars and Linux!

This is a sample where I am testing JACK with Pulseaudio on OBS studio. I has some sync issues so I could not play along with the intro clip so it is muted. I will show how I setup jack to co-exist with pulse while you all suffer through my TERRIBLE guitar playing!

Offline DQSII

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 09:12:12 PM »
I actually thought u where not that bad Spatry

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 10:01:47 PM »
Another litany of suffering for you then! FEEL THE BURN!

Offline DQSII

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 10:18:59 PM »
I gave it a like i always enjoy ur videos Spatry :)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
Turn your PC into an EFFECTS RACK!

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 05:09:39 AM »
Now that Fedora is officially throwing PulseAudio and Jack out the window in favor of Pipewire (in Fedora 34), what are your thoughts on the subject?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:23:00 AM »
Hmmm, this is my first time hearing about pipewire. Might be a good idea to start a new topic on it. I will need to research this.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 09:48:22 PM »

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 11:19:28 AM »
I find this interesting.  I love music but I'm not a musician.  When I was in school, the teachers told my parents that they recommended that I shouldn't take band unless I'm one of those people who had the desire to try and prove them wrong.  I was having such a hard time keeping up with my homework that it would of been too much to try and learn a musical instrument. However many years later, I became a volunteer sound man for a Church.  I did that for three years prior to that congregation falling apart, and I landed a 2nd shift janitor job.  The only thing I do with audio is a little audacity and ocenaudio editing for podcasts that I downloaded for work.  To this very day, I don't know how "normal" people balanced sports and music with homework.  The homework they gave me took up over 5 hours of my time.  I would of been even longer if it wasn't for my dad helping me!  Anyways like I said, I find this sort of thing interesting to watch, but I'll never put my back into it.  I consider myself lucky just to be able to install and setup a working OS.
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »
I used to take my guitar to school every day when I was a teenager. I used to play it any time I had a chance. I even had a band in school as well... now I am REALLY starting to learn how to play and I wonder why I never took proper lessons sooner!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 09:28:33 PM »
I used to take my guitar to school every day when I was a teenager. I used to play it any time I had a chance. I even had a band in school as well... now I am REALLY starting to learn how to play and I wonder why I never took proper lessons sooner!

This might be a little off topic.  After reading that I began to wonder which is the best way to raise kids?
A) Honesty
or
B) Encouragement

My parents were honest but not very encouraging.  For example they taught me that not everyone has a gift for music.  Whereas it seems that some parents would make a kid try it first.  It's just something I wonder about...
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 05:11:33 AM »
My dad played guitar and learning it for him was a real struggle. I had friends in school who also played an instrument and they seemed happier. I begged my dad to teach me how to play until he got tired of me pestering him. I wanted to learn so much that I was willing to practice a lot. Unfortunately I did not get proper lessons so I had sloppy technique most of my life. Now I am learning to break bad habits and become a better guitar player. My father was afraid that I would share the same learning difficulties he had, on the contrary, I learned fast and I was willing to put in the effort.

Where software is concerned, I like to try and break it, I try to examine all of the menus and discover the hidden features. I am guessing you needed to enable a repository in order to find the software you were looking for. Some distributions will have things already enabled to make it easier on users where other developers take more of a "hands on" approach. BTW... when using ubuntu based systems, I prefer synaptic for running updates. My computer at work and Mum's machine run xubuntu. One thing that helps me is that I made a lot of videos... If I forget something I learned, I have video documentation I made to teach me what I did in the past... I know that may sound weird, but I re-learn things from my own video pool.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
This might be a little off topic.  After reading that I began to wonder which is the best way to raise kids?

According to the kid!

anyway, back on topic - Any fancy sound cards with breakout boxes?