Ventoy: Boot different ISOs from the same USB drive.
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Ventoy: Boot different ISOs from the same USB drive.  (Read 311 times)

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
Ventoy: Boot different ISOs from the same USB drive.
« on: February 27, 2021, 12:13:54 AM »
I've been using this for a few months, it's awesome! Ventoy is a bootable tool that allows you to boot ISOs, even .VHD & .VDI files created with VirtualBox. Ventoy is flashed to a flash drive just like any other ISO with a couple of differences: The first partition is for regular data with a FAT32/NTFS/Ext4 filesystem (this can be reformatted on its own to your preferred filesystem even afterwards) and a small second EFI partition for all the new Windows 8+ systems that use it now to boot with those (BIOS/Legacy mode also supported too). The partitons are setup this way by design, because stupid Windows doesn't detect any partitions except for the very first one in line if you use your drive on Windows. Chances are you won't see the small EFI partiton in Windows unless you manually mount it.

When you boot Ventoy, it gives you a list of ISOs and other bootable files to choose that is loaded onto the data partition, select and then boot. Since it can also boot .VHD & .VDI files from VirtualBox, you can essentially boot fully installed Linux systems on real hardware (not in Live-USB mode). Since your data partition is just a regular readable-writable file system, you can load other data onto it just like any other flash drive. This is great for especially large flash drives like my 64GB Sandisk, where you can take advantage of all the space without the rest being wasted when flashing a single ISO with DD instead.

GitHub: https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy

Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Ventoy: Boot different ISOs from the same USB drive.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 07:28:28 AM »
Very nice, I've used multibootusb for the past few years and it provides the same functionality. Arch users can build it from the AUR. I did notice that Ventoy is in the main repo so I will have to give this one a shot.

Love it when new software is announced. Thanks for the share and nice to see you, Teddy.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Online Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: Ventoy: Boot different ISOs from the same USB drive.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 03:31:08 PM »
This one's even easier than multibootusb  because once you've installed it you can simply copy the image files onto the correct partition and they just show up.  Awesome for letting people play with multiple live images.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.