The state of OS updates
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: The state of OS updates  (Read 108 times)

Offline EggZaile

The state of OS updates
« on: April 02, 2021, 04:16:24 PM »
I remember when i used to brag to my friends about Linux being better than windows.One of the selling points, was in fact the most annoying thing in windows: The automatic updates.
"oh, in Linux you update when you want, if you want. You have total control of your system".
Fast forward, now you have SNAP packages, which are a standard in Ubuntu. They update in the background, they don't need your permission and hell...last time i checked, you don't even get a notification informing of the updates. Ubuntu is still a landing point of a lot of new users, so imagine their face when they realize they don't have control over the OS after all.
Some distros are even starting to consider the automatic updates "feature". Some already got it, but not enable by default. How many time until its enabled? and how many time until you can't disable either.
Today i saw a tweet regarding Fedora 34 . I don't run Fedora, so i can't really confirm what this user is complaining. However, that got me thinking...where are we going?
Linuxmint, another landing distro for new users, shared some concerns when they realized a huge porttion of their users were outdated and with security risks. They are debating a way of nag you with updates, and who knows...actually force you. 
If people spend months or years without updating, because they don't care about anything in their digital life...so be it!
What's your opinion on this?
cheers

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: The state of OS updates
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 07:25:18 PM »
I would dig around for ways to BYPASS or DISABLE the automatic updates. If that is not possible, it would be a deal breaker for me and I would look into alternatives. After you have learned Ubuntu based distributions, you may consider going to the source: Debian. I am 98% sure the Debian developers would abhor any of the Microsoft influence Canonical/Ubuntu has gained... I have not heard of Fedora or any of the other major players forcing AU on their users.

IF you would like something you can really grow into...

Try an ARCH based distribution. You can benefit from the Arch user repository (AUR) and then you will not be dependent on snap/flat packs. Snaps can be beneficial in that you can run packages independently of your system libraries but I have not had need for them on Arch systems since almost anything you can want is either in the repositories or in the AUR. For beginners, Arco or Manjaro will be to your liking. Arch based OS will not update in the background.

OR... Follow the Arch WIKI and learn ARCH. It is a challenge at first but you will come out of it with a great understanding of how your Linux system works. When problems occur, you will know how to fix them. Arch is an amazing FAST OS. It contains only what YOU WANT. Nothing more, nothing less!

Cheers!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: The state of OS updates
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:15:03 AM »
I can see the point of auto updates. It does solve issues, and of course adds some issues. Basic rule is the more well managed the distro, the more they will feel the need to control it.

You can still control it, and as fast as linux moves, we will be able to control it for years to come.

They are for 'everyone'. Why not? Default is just that - the no thought option.

It seems auto update has been around awhile. Not only will you always be able to turn it off, the ability also can simply not be installed.

The real damage of flatpaks and snap hasn't matured yet. At the point a major function is ONLY available in one of these forms, we're screwed. I forgive appimages, they're pretty tight. In their preferences there is an auto update tick box...

It is windowization. I'm not much of a fan boy, so see it for what it is. Windows ways made it through the sieve of usage, linux is simply following the same path, for the same reasons.

There is one thing the windows way doesn't include and that is the ability to build from scratch. That category (of user) stops at the netinst. The other class of users expect to end up at a functional desktop.