STL: This is Why I'm Concerned
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: STL: This is Why I'm Concerned  (Read 211 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
STL: This is Why I'm Concerned
« on: February 13, 2021, 06:22:45 PM »
* I'm not sure where I should post this...  Some of it is Linux related.  Some of this is privacy problems with third parties.

Switched to Linux

Today we will look at an article from a developer who just learned the dark secret of third party data sharing. Let's react to his story. #Microsoft #Canonical #BigData

Article:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/11/microsoft_azure_ubuntu_data_sharing/

https://youtu.be/gkgZBHgfZgA
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: STL: This is Why I'm Concerned
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 07:37:47 AM »
If you are concerned with what Ubuntu is doing behind the scenes with Micro$oft, don't use their distribution or any releases BASED on it. Use Arch, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo or Slackware based systems. I have not seen any benefit to the Linux ecosystem as a result of Ubuntu's dealings with M$. Sure there is a GNU subsystem in Windows and now there is Azure but where are the improvements to allow Windows programs to function seamlessly on Linux? Reminds me of the "War Doctor" story where one of the Time-lords is trying to make peace with the Daleks: You cannot make peace with an enemy hell bent on destroying you. Remember the Microsoft (EEE): Embrace, Extend and EXTERMINATE!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 09:49:11 AM »
Exactly what Spatry stated as I try and avoid the M$ group as much as possible!
Joe Johnston
Linux Lite

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »
This is one of the reasons why I've spent so much time working bugs out of PCLinuxOS.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 10:59:01 AM »
I've been trying to get away from using Linux Mint and Ubuntu.  The problem is these distros are so stable!  Currently I'm using Linux Mint for running my big machine.  This is also the machine that I run virtualbox on.  I need a good stable base as I try to learn other distros.  My other two desktops are currently running Xubuntu 18.04 and PCLinuxOS.  One is running Xubuntu 18.04 but I'm in the slow process of testing it out on PCLinuxOS.  My old Dell computer has been running on PCLinuxOS everyday for the past several months.  I've been using that machine mostly for watching mp4 videos, and sometimes email/forums.  I like PClinuxOS better then when I started with it.  Despite the fact I ran into problems, the community has been helpful helping me change things as needed.

I often see people say things like.  If you don't like something or don't trust something then just switch to another Distro.  I think we should stop saying that.  While it is true that we got choices, it's hard to switch distros.  There is always a learning curve.  Learning curves take time.  So does your job!  Most of the time I don't switch around because I don't have the time and energy to do so.  It's people like me that Ubuntu hurts when they do strange deals with Microsoft. 

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:08:20 AM »
 For sure any stability attributed to 'buntu's are due to its Debian cake and not the canonical frosting.

Pick one of the mainstays Spatry mentioned, and learn it. I choose Debian after my initial 'distro' phase and have since doubled down, more than once. It keeps getting better and the upcoming Bullseye is a bullseye!

Having been on the other end of things the 'info coordination' won't (can't) be avoided. If we invite distro's into the way of things then we get the 'Value Added Reseller' issues of every industry. Them VAR's would like some feedback! None offer much value any more, they did much in the first decades of development, but we're no longer at that stage.

Microsoft's move are more to stay relevant to their own technology than nefarious. Their rights on things is running out and there are big players coming out with contributions for fat and ntfs. So they butt in and contribute to the kernel to save face. FOSS could choose a legally reverse engineered solution, or M$ could play ball. They're playing, good choice, even though they're somewhat 'unsportsmanlike'. It's actually similar to the gpu game, amd decided to play ball while nvidia stars in their own league. I'm very happy to have my kernel grow by 20% to include amd's code and M$'s new kernel storage drivers. For others that's all useless fat, no pun.