I Hate Splash Screens
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: I Hate Splash Screens  (Read 593 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
I Hate Splash Screens
« on: January 03, 2021, 02:27:56 PM »
When I first got into Linux, for some reason I enjoyed watching the boot up messages.  I always felt like they were useful.  I realize that sometimes they gave error messages that didn't mean anything for me, but in the event that something would change, I could see it.  I feel that if I could of seen the boot messages on my Linux Mint 20 Box, I might have been able to diagnose my networking error quicker.  Because I could watch my router indicator lights, and could tell almost exactly when the computer was switching the networking card off.  I just couldn't see what was switching it off.  For a while I could press the esc key and see those messages.  I tried it with Linux Mint 20 and it doesn't show me anything....  How do you feel about splash screens?  Do you know how to get rid of them?
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: I Hate Splash Screens
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 07:27:53 PM »
 I'm not sure I'm up for an explanation covering different distro, but for my debians I have a pattern I prefer.
Look up systemctl for systemd distros, you can control it to the point it goes straight to the desktop. Without systemd, have fun. You need to unistall logon managers like Lightdm, and maybe plymouth.

You can simply uninstall all that and use the cli to logon and startx, is that the goal?

No operating system controls the initial display with splash or terminal output - that's a setting in your bios. At that point, no OS is loaded. Maybe this is what you mean? I think plymouth is standard now, it does something with this.

I set things for a real post, a real grub, then a luks passphrase - or a key - or nothing, then a desktop.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 08:09:30 PM »

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 09:13:10 PM »
 You can log those messages and then look them up when you need to. And note that the network is about last to initialize and a fast setup on a fast computer is up to a settled desktop before it gets an address. Some desktop utility widgets or indicators will reveal that. I use a genmon to report public and local ip's and it has missed before, blank until the next polling. Something like wicd has a little flag when it gets an address, that happens seconds after the desktop loads...

You can also turn on/off the messages at boot, so blank - where some like a picture to slow them down. A faster computer doesn't leave much time for it! I think a 2 second grub countdown is most of my boot time for vm's. The big box takes minutes to post, and doesn't reboot much. In the past I have loaded custom vendor splash into the bios.rom. That can be fun. I suppose it's cool for a laptop. I think plymouth can read those bios images and display them while the OS loads and returns from sleep or hibernation.
 I don't get why people put in effort to disable things instead of removing them. That's why I don't do 'buntu's. to much re-engineering, to much make-up.
 I think the time from button press to desktop is better spent getting a cup of coffee.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 09:18:57 PM »
For debian-based distributions you need to edit /etc/default/grub and change the line that says:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

Then you will get the messages as the system services initialize.  This is one of the first changes I make to every  system I set up.  New user might find those messages intimidating and scary, I find them very useful.

When you are done with that edit, then remember to update your grub configuration by running

sudo update-grub
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »
 I find them very useful.
Exactly, and I don't think changes the boot time, so why not!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 01:14:23 AM »
I think it's wonderful that users can just DO that. Linux is pretty sweet like that. Personally, I don't care much for terminal nonsense when I turn my PC's on. I actually enjoy the splash screens. I think they add a touch of finish and polish to my OS of choice.
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 06:15:57 PM »
I also prefer to have grub show up every time.  It saves me from hitting the shift key if I need to boot into a previous kernel.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 09:08:07 AM »
SMH. I remember the good old days when I was new to Linux and even went as far as customizing the plymnouth splash screens... now with SSD, the computer boots up so fast that there is no time to see it anyway. LOL

I hate splash screens too... and I try my best to disable them on any software I am running.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 06:35:22 PM »
It's true on my i5 computer running an SSD the words go by too fast to see it.  I still prefer it over the splash screen.  Splash Screens always makes me wonder what is going on behind it?  I always like to see progress!