Moving my programs from an old Zorin OS to Zorin 15.3 ultimite lite 64
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Moving my programs from an old Zorin OS to Zorin 15.3 ultimite lite 64  (Read 405 times)

Offline 3DAlvin

I want to install Zorin 15.3 Ultimate Lite 64 bit, but I have Zorin 9 installed. How can I get my files, programs and passwords transferred to the new system. i realize that some or all programs that I have will not be compatible with the newer system. I'm looking to make this painless and uncomplicated as possible.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Moving my programs from an old Zorin OS to Zorin 15.3 ultimite lite 64
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 05:08:50 AM »
Copy your /home/yourusername directory. That is where all of your configurations are stored for the software you use. pay close attention to the folder names, maybe you will just want your web browser settings ... also look inside /home/yourusername/.config, many settings are stored there as well.

DO NOT BLINDLY COPY THE ENTIRE THE HOME DIRECTORY TO YOUR NEW INSTALLATION... That can be a recipe for disaster. Just copy over the FOLDERS you want to your new home directory being mindful of where they were in your original installation. Cheers!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline 3DAlvin

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
I'm not seeing the .config file in my "home" directory? Is it a hidden file? Saving my web browser passwords is a major thing I wish to transfer. Thanks again Spatry, for all of your help.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 03:49:00 AM »
Usually ~/.config is a hidden directory inside your home directory.  There is a also ~/.local that saves more local settings for your user account.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 07:07:18 AM »
I'm not seeing the .config file in my "home" directory? Is it a hidden file? Saving my web browser passwords is a major thing I wish to transfer. Thanks again Spatry, for all of your help.
CTRL + H will show your hidden folders. Mozilla (firefox) settings are in the .mozilla chromium settings are in .config/chromium - You can copy those folders to your new installation.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline 3DAlvin

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 11:52:04 AM »
I did it!!!! Everything works great!!!! Thank You everyone on this AWESOME forum!!! It was a lot easier than I thought. I just had to copy over a couple of files. Thanks again!!!