Frustration With Distros.
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Frustration With Distros.  (Read 873 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Frustration With Distros.
« on: December 26, 2020, 05:35:44 PM »
Back in 2016 - 2018...  I was a Linux Mint fan.  I use the word "fan" loosely.  Because when it comes to OSes, I believe in the "whatever works for you" philosophy.  But lately I've been feeling sour towards several distros.

This past summer I ran into some trouble with Linux Mint 20, MX Linux 19.2, and Xubuntu 20.04.  It was the same basic problem with all of them.  I really scratch my head about it because I'm using them the same way I used past versions without a problem.  I guess all of a sudden something has gotten either heavy or incompatible or whatever, with one of my old computers.  I guess that is ok because the machine is old and I haven't tried hard enough to replace it.

The other day I ran into a big problem.  I was on my fastest newest machine running Linux Mint 18.3.  All of a sudden about 5 PPAs stopped responding.  At first I thought it was the PPAs.  Figuring that Linux Mint 18.3 is almost at the end of it's life cycle, I decided to replace it with Linux Mint 20.  To my surprise no PPA would work on it either.  The system seemed to update just fine, so what was up with the PPAs?  I grabbed my old Xubuntu 18.04 install and put it in the computer.  When I tried to update it I noticed that the PPAs weren't working there either.  It was this point, I decided to reboot my Modem and Router.  After that then the PPAs started working again.

Yesterday I was doing stuff on my Linux Mint 20 XFCE install and found out that I couldn't get into my firewall settings from the gui.  After discussing it on the Linux Mint forums we discovered I had a bigger issue with it then I knew.  I did a lot of searching around. I found some bug reports but no solutions.  I decided to reinstall the entire system.  After spending about 5 hours putting software on it I decided to take a look at gparted.  I noticed that I had two efi partitions on it.  Now I'm thinking about scrapping this install and starting all over again.  After discussing this in the forums, it appears that there is some kind of install bug in the Linux Mint installer.  It seems it gets messed up when you install on an efi computer in Legacy mode.  The only way around it is to manually partition before installing.

Since my computer can do efi or legacy it's hard to decide which way I want to go with this.  Or do I want to change to a different distro.

You can read my most recent posts on the linux mint forum.  I included a video and some screen shots.

Linux Mint 20 XFCE Firewall Not Loading (Had to Reinstall)

LM20 XFCE - Why did the installer create two fat32 bit partitions?
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Frustration With Distros.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
Back in 2016 - 2018.
Since my computer can do efi or legacy it's hard to decide which way I want to go with this.  Or do I want to change to a different distro.
Actually it's not. As far as I can tell efi exist only for the purpose of windows-centric hardware. I've seen no reason to use it, actually against, on any hardware that has a standard (good) bios available.

and there are lots of changes this round. You should build your own OS by now!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 10:34:36 AM »
Frustration indeed! One reason I like the arch based distros is that there is no need for PPA instead you build the packages you want from the user repo... Every distribution has it's caveats.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
If I keep having the trouble I'm having, I'm just going to sell my computers and be done with it.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 05:38:09 PM »
it's all about trial and error gregory you will find the one that works best with your systems.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »
it's all about trial and error gregory you will find the one that works best with your systems.

This is how I feel about it.  I found the ones that worked with my systems.  But those distros moved on... :-[

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 09:29:02 PM »
No distro is going to be perfect, so I've found that I have to take one that's mostly a blank slate and then adapt it to my needs.     That's why I like KDE Neon, it gives me a really basic setup with my preferred desktop and then I set everything else up the way I want, plus anything that works for Ubuntu works there too.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
That's why I like KDE Neon, it gives me a really basic setup with my preferred desktop and then I set everything else up the way I want, plus anything that works for Ubuntu works there too.

I've been thinking about trying that distro.

A couple days ago I listened to this youtube podcast:

https://youtu.be/3dtiVHBe2Oo

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 01:54:43 AM »
One thing to be warned about, they're really not kidding when they say it's a bare install.   Good if you have your preferences, but you really have to know what apps you want to use because you'll get a web browser and that's about it.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:23:33 PM »
One thing to be warned about, they're really not kidding when they say it's a bare install.   Good if you have your preferences, but you really have to know what apps you want to use because you'll get a web browser and that's about it.

I have a list of apps that I install on Ubuntu's...  It's kinda funny, most of the apps that come with ubuntu and linux mint I don't use.  It's the ones I add that I use...

Here is my current list:

alacarte
asunder
audacity (Linux Mint 18 - 20 Install flatpak)
Brave (might not want this)
brotherpinter driver
chromium
dupeguru_se
gedit
gnome-disk-utility
gparted
grub-customizer
gsmartcontrol
gtkhash
gufw
indicator-cpufreq
kdenlive  https://kdenlive.org/
kid3
lame
mat2
mpv
onboard
psensor

puddletag (Linux Mint 18 - 20 Install From PPA)
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=329807&p=1882264&hilit=puddletag+ppa#p1882264
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2020/06/puddletag-python3-qt5-port-ubuntu-20-04/

redshift
ripperx
shotwell
simplescreen recorder
synaptic
ufw
ukuu
virtualbox  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
waterfox
winff
ocenaudio.com
vivaldi.com
deadbeef

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 10:57:08 AM »
I have a list of apps that I install
You could try 'dselect'.
Not sure how well it would work on sloppy 'buntu's but I've used it a few times to jump architectures. From a fresh install it's a shortcut for the packages, then a zip file finishes the home config...

For me a waste of time, 'buntu's don't age well in my experience. All my debian images were installed a few years ago, and are current. Complete images free of pork are only a few gigs, and it's convenient to simply carry the entire system forward focusing on the evolution rather than taking random snap shot examples of disjointed distros with short shelf lives.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 11:12:44 PM »
That is why I've invested so much time into PCLinuxOS.  It's supposed to keep going and going and going.  I just don't have the time to keep wiping my drives and starting over with another distro.