LibreElec (Libre Embedded Linux Entertainment Center)
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: LibreElec (Libre Embedded Linux Entertainment Center)  (Read 152 times)

Offline aDewil

• Contributor
LibreElec (Libre Embedded Linux Entertainment Center)
« on: August 11, 2020, 02:18:08 PM »
this OS using KODI as UI and you can instal chrome web browser, torrent download, retro games with extra repo and powerful media playback.

get OS here:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/
you can find general PC, Raspberry Pi and many others versios.

web browser
add on

with this you can add and find huge collection repos:
https://www.tvaddons.co/fusion-installer/
add after that zachmorris repo for retrogames, but these games your own responsibility!
you can find videos from youtube how to add that repo and use these search words: kodi retro games

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: LibreElec (Libre Embedded Linux Entertainment Center)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 11:46:08 PM »
That has smart tv written all over it. my tv is quite dumb lol.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 11:56:34 AM »
I haven't even HAD my TV plugged in for more than 5 years.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »
I recently disconnected my TV because I had no control over the built in Spotify App. It kept auto signing in no matter what I did, so I said "screw it", factory reset the thing then unplugged the ethernet cord. The whole ordeal took an hour away from my work, needless to say Smart TVs have left a bad impression on me.

TVs should just be TVs. Leave it to the consumer to purchase a smart device should they want that functionality.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline aDewil

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »
I haven't even HAD my TV plugged in for more than 5 years.
i use my tv as second monitor for computer.
i play pc games from main monitor and watching videos from tv same time.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:49:30 AM »
I am with you aDewil, my TV is connected to my computer and used as a monitor.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 10:54:07 AM »
I didn't have a tv until it was a better option to use a tv as the computer monitor. Before 2006, and ever since I've had a tv tuner in the computer.

I *think* TV's got better before they got smart, and maybe now smart is bad? They got better when they could sync properly to odd resolutions and properly handle computer hdmi/dp. Mine are from 2006-2010, my original video wall from that period was two samsung tv 40's and 3 samsung 26's 'monitors'. The 26's have given up over the last few years, one still works. The 40's are over 10 years old now and only one properly syncs to everything.

As far as the computer as an infotainment system idea goes, I got that conquered, don't need no Kodi or specialized distro for that.

So, if I could hijack this thread for feedback on 'tv monitors' ! I could use some recent wisdom...
The replacement thought started when the first 26 failed. I came up empty looking for 1200p options, I love that resolution, 1080 not quite enough and 1440+ too much. The newer 21:9 or whatevers are interesting, could function as two or 3 lesser monitors, but not yet. I'm more concerned about the 40's. They gotta die someday!

While looking at the smaller 'monitor' options I see a big hole in functionality for all sizes - fewer inputs! I think my old samsungs have like 6-8 inputs, with 'VGA' of course too. New ones have gotten cheap on that, even though I paid $1000+ for each 40, now only a few hundred, new ones only have 2-3 inputs and could need adapters to do what I do now. And whatever the choice they will never be hooked up to any network ever for any 'update' ever. I haven't thought that through yet...

Next issue I know almost nothing about is this 'smart' idea. From what I've heard they need to 'boot up' ? That means a long time to turn on? and to switch inputs? Are 'dumb' models out there? ...for cheaper?
So if anyone has thoughts on any of these issues, please elaborate...

If anyone knows about MST on linux I could use some knowledge! If anyone is curious about haupaugge quad tuners or gnutv or mpv-tv, I'm still working on it, and it's awesome...

Ok, never mind. found it: X435BV-FSRA
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:49:56 PM by CwF »