hefftor linux
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: hefftor linux  (Read 463 times)

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
hefftor linux
« on: July 09, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
here's a new little gem y'all should look at no pics yet but here's there webpage might be a good video for you there spatry.
hefftor linux
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: hefftor linux
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 09:30:50 PM »
Checked out this distro myself. Easy to setup with the Calamares installer. Although, it offers a very stock experience. There's hardly any apps installed. Some development tools, no office/productivity programs. Minimal set of wallpapers in GNOME and KDE editions. XFCE had quite a few. I really like the Mac-esque theme that they had going on. Although, it had a hard time picking up my Intel video card right off the bat. Set a super low resolution of 800x600. Fortunately I was able to scale it up to 1920x1200 on a 2K screen for an optimal viewing experience. Out of the box, the 3 desktop environments that I tried had a very large backlog of updates - all over 1 GB total in size. The actual numbers I recorded below.

GNOME - 706
XFCE - 621
KDE - 942

Apart from this, I don't personally feel like it really stands out from the other Arch-based distros. It's definitely interesting to see distro's like this pop-up,  but it's not something I could see myself moving over to. I'm not knocking it by any means, but there's nothing that stands out that would make me want to use it. For anybody that is curious though, I'd recommend checking it out in a VM. Definitely seems to be a lot of work that Hefftor put into it and visually, it's a nice looking distro. Just very bare, which I know some people like. Allows you to set up your preferred apps right away vs having to spend time removing what the maintainer installed.

Overall, good find. Glad I had a chance to look at it. :)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 07:29:49 AM »
Got to love Arco linux... I used some of their code to make a custom installer for the final version of mCOLe. It was the only way I could get a legacy bootloader in there. I visited the site for Hefftor and saw the screenshots... looks interesting. Cheers.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
kaltrix you have the choice to install apps you want at the beginning of the install atleast on the xfce distro you could you could also choose what kernel u wanted too. 

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »
kaltrix you have the choice to install apps you want at the beginning of the install atleast on the xfce distro you could you could also choose what kernel u wanted too.

I think that's an excellent feature. Sort of covered it in my post with saying that it felt like a fairly stock distro, but didn't go into too much detail. This would be a good distro for those that want a working GUI up-front, but minimalist in terms of what apps are installed out the door. The only reason that I said that it wouldn't be enough for me to switch to it, is because I already have everything setup the way I want it. Would involve a lot of rework to set back up again on a different distro. Although, if for some reason I moved to a different computer and had to redo everything anyway, I wouldn't mind running it as a daily driver. :)

Reading through my initial post, I realize I didn't word it as well as I would've wanted to. Had good intentions, but can see where it may have come off a bit blunt.

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 02:48:15 PM »
nah it's alright ADD can make me misinterpret things at times or misread at times lol 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »
You really have to love it when a distribution will ask you what you would like to have installed during the deployment process. It certainly beats having to uninstall a bunch of packages you do not need and then replace them with the items you really want.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline DQSII

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 12:48:41 PM »
Ill stick to installing arch linux the arch way when i use arch thats how i started using it and how i will continue to use arch Spatry :D

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 08:59:56 PM »
it isn't for everyone DQS i liked how they set it up the way the installer works and the way it runs which so far has been very stable. plus i posted it someone maybe new to linux who may wanna travel out of there comfort zone without all the hassle. do i recommend they try it the arch way, absolutely. it's good training to learn the in's and out's of linux.  

Offline DQSII

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 02:33:03 AM »
Yes i agree but i also know gentoo and use gentoo in a vm under arch as well 

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »
gentoo is a whole other animal and a different part of the forum lol.

Offline DQSII

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 02:55:44 PM »
gentoo is a whole other animal and a different part of the forum lol.

And I get that is why i didn't go into detail here on this topic :D