I've joined the Big Boys
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: I've joined the Big Boys  (Read 480 times)

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
I've joined the Big Boys
« on: September 25, 2020, 03:36:29 PM »
Yes, after 3 years I've decided to uninstall Manjaro xfce and install - Arch Linux LTS xfce!

A huge step for me, as I've always considered myself a user not an expert, even though I do tinker and break things a lot.  Oh boy, I've picked the right distro if I want to tinker. :D

So far, so good.  I've installed the Whisker Menu to make me feel more at home in the xfce environment,  but I have steered clear of the GUI package managers, relying instead on pacman and yay.

My grandkids have taken over my laptop, so I had to install Windows 10 so that they could play their favourite games and my daughter could access Office 2016. I was running Manjaro on a spare internal HDD drive that I bought a USB case for and I just plug it in whenever I get a chance to get near my laptop.  Arch Linux has replaced Manjaro on the spare drive and after a couple of mishaps, finally installed correctly. I had practised a few times on a VM.

I still think that Manjaro is the best Linux distro out there - but now it's time to meet its Daddy.

So here goes - I'm like a kid with a new toy (where's my spanner?).

Wish me luck. :)

Tinkerer
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:42:51 PM by tinkerer »
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: I've joined the Big Boys
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
Keep Tinkering... the Arch wiki will teach you everything you want to know about linux. AND because you built Arch yourself, now you will learn how to fix it yourself too... I advise reading the announcement page whenever updates are pushed. They will often have directions for for upgrades which can cause breakage, Manjaro does those things for you which is why updates are held back on that system.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
Re: I've joined the Big Boys
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »
Keep Tinkering... the Arch wiki will teach you everything you want to know about linux. AND because you built Arch yourself, now you will learn how to fix it yourself too... I advise reading the announcement page whenever updates are pushed. They will often have directions for for upgrades which can cause breakage, Manjaro does those things for you which is why updates are held back on that system.

Thanks Spatry.  You're right, during the install I began to understand about the conf files and where they were stored, etc.  I have a better understanding of what goes on under the hood (under the bonnet in the UK).  Had some issues with Wine, but a wee look at the wiki helped me a lot.  Everything I've installed via yay and pacman have worked perfectly so far and I have the desktop environment set up very similiar to my old Manjaro setup. I'm spending a lot more time in the terminal, which is a good thing.

Hmmmm, this Arch Linux is a sturdy fellow - despite my best efforts, it's still working. :D

tinkerer
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)