SHOW IDEAS - Summer 2020
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: SHOW IDEAS - Summer 2020  (Read 900 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
SHOW IDEAS - Summer 2020
« on: June 17, 2020, 07:43:48 AM »
I have some free time coming up and I want to put more content on my channel. I need some show ideas, preferably topics which do not require exhaustive resources to put together. I was thinking about a short series on "quick tips" which can save people time. I also need some other ideas. I am not particularly fond of doing more distribution reviews since everyone and their pets are doing those... Maybe topics on MAKING LINUX FUN AGAIN?

Thoughts anyone?
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: SHOW IDEAS - Summer 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:01:27 AM »
I've been trying to think of something since you posted this, and I cannot for the life of me come up with any good ideas.

If it's more content you want, why not give gaming another shot? If not multiplayer, maybe some solo games? I just got Turok on steam for $20 and I've been playing the crap out of it. It even has NATIVE Linux support baby! Skyrim's always a popular choice. It would probably even draw a crowd considering you'd be playing on Linux. Or maybe get yourself a cheap analog capture card and hook up an old Atari or NES and do some streaming with OBS on Linux!

Another thing I've been tinkering with lately is a program called Sweet Home 3D. We're getting things started for an overhaul over at the shop and everyone's got ideas of how everything should be laid out. This software seems to do the job well enough.

Personally, I've been so busy lately that if I had some free time, I'd just enjoy it doing something relaxing.
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 10:04:27 AM »
I'm a poor choice to recommend things since I don't get much from videos except anticipation anxiety! Videos are slow. I like audio. And I agree cursory 'Distro' coverage is a little boring. But I'm not the majority so what do I know...

If they are easy to do for you I do have a few ideas of what many people continue to miss.

1. Overview the permission construct.
    a. How root user tangles with a regular user.
    b. multi-user, how it can tangle moving /home to another installation
    c. using groups to help share directories and bridge 1a, ie 'wheel' group

2. Passwords- Why do we enter a password 50 times a day on our own 'personal' computer.
    a. Root accounts Yes or No?
    b. creating and using su or sudo, enabling power user mode for passwordless sudo.
    c. polkit goodness, ditching gksudo and all other DE centric solutions.
    d. why full disk encryption
    e. extra credit; why when askpass is needed, shc for scripts with passwords.

Crimson's idea of 'Software Spotlights' is good, except the learning part - Sweet Home 3D is in the Debian reps's along with many of it's extra. Then modelling stuff in Gimp for use with it...fringe stuff maybe? I was a Acad for DOS guy and have a Sweet Home 3D for windows on CD! Ancient, still haven't dug into that...

I wonder how old S-Video stuff works in modern Linux's. I have a few I haven't used for a decade. How to make a poor mans DVR in Debian? I got that one covered, except no gui, nobody wants a cli/cron DVR nowadays...I could forward my notes on manually creating scan and channel.conf files...

Maybe a "SCARF" series! How to pull good ideas out of questionable distos and incorporate them into our own custom rolled installations.

Maybe some of the obtuse things I do like install-less installations; How to 'flash' a computer like you would a phone. Why install when you can simply image. Nobody 'installs' on a phone do they? Why install on a computer? I don't...maybe a chicken or egg issue.

An advanced series on understanding sysfs? How to cat and echo your systems parameters.

How to be a bug tracker? Using the terminal for gui feedback, using Valgrind and tracers?

Simple ideas? I think I have none...

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:39:40 PM »
...I don't get much from videos except anticipation anxiety! ...
I think we are all guilty of that... I find myself fast forwarding some videos because the presenter is beating around the bush instead of getting to the topic at hand. -SMH-
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:58:49 AM »
Have you done a sort of "History of Linux" COL style? I know that would require a lot of research and fact checking, but I'd LOVE to see something like that.
Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage