In Zorin and others based on Ubuntu - AHCI controller is unavailable
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: In Zorin and others based on Ubuntu - AHCI controller is unavailable  (Read 196 times)

Offline dreamwarrior

• Supporter!
HI guys....hope everyone is ok....Im having this issue with Zorin,Ubuntu,and Makulu..all in their most recent version....all based on Ubuntu...when i installed them they were working perfectly  for about a week,(had them in different HD but in the same pc...i just switch from one to another and so on)...as i said,they were working fine...but recently, when i turn them on, none will load,and all they load is that message that the AHCI Controller is unavailable...usually sometimes i get the logo of them,but thats all and afterwards i only get a black screen.....now,today ,i switched to Zorin,and bingo,it work so i decide to get here and ask for any help or advice..but i know when i turn off the pc i will get the same problem and message...at least i have one laptop with Windows....so i can be in the internet ...thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:21:35 PM by dreamwarrior »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Some online discussions I have read this morning point to possible hardware failure. Some boards suggest updating bios. Personally I would look into the bios settings and maybe switch to the IDE interface and see if there is a different result.

The SATA interface can operate in two modes, IDE and AHCI:
  • IDE – a compatibility mode for older equipment and software. In fact, in this mode SATA capcity is no different from its predecessor, ATA (or PATA) interface;
  • AHCI – a new mode for memory devices, where a computer can use all SATA advantages, primarily higher speed of data exchange with SSD and HDD (Native Command Queuing technology, or NCQ), as well as hot swapping of hard disks. When you activate AHCI mode, it increases the speed of access to files in memory devices and improves overall performance of your computer.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline dreamwarrior

• Supporter!
Thanks Spatry...i checked what you advise in the bios,but i only found the AHCi option...i checked in the boot options,everything there,and only found that...im not sure if i had to check in other place,but i actually check all options in the bios,and nothing......i did something that afterwards,the  OS started to load,but im not sure if it will last..i made the bios load  the defaults settings,and now the OS load once again,even when i restart the pc,which usually when i turn off or restart the pc wont come back.....but time will tell if it keeps working ......ill keep updating this post in case it does so that others  with the same problem,can fix it......thanks

PS...my board is not even a Year old.....

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Check with the board manufacturer to see if there is an update for bios. Being that it is fairly new, there may be patches for your firmware. If there is a support channel, you could make them aware of the issue you are experiencing and see if there is a solve.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline dreamwarrior

• Supporter!
good idea.... went there now and  wrote to them ...let you know what happen...still Zorin is running nice again,since i did what i said before,in the other post....but will be waiting for their response of the problem..and post here