GDM Login Does anyone know how to change the font size?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: GDM Login Does anyone know how to change the font size?  (Read 468 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
GDM Login Does anyone know how to change the font size?
« on: April 25, 2020, 11:49:46 AM »
On PCLinux Mate, I ran into an issue.  After installing the nvidia drivers for my card it messed up the font sizes for GDM.  I asked about it on the PCLinux forums but it doesn't appear that they know how to fix it either.  I saw something in the arch wiki.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM#Larger_font_for_log-in_screen  but I don't have any of the files they talk about.

Code: [Select]
[gregory@localhost db]$ cd ~
[gregory@localhost ~]$ cd /etc
[gregory@localhost etc]$ cd dconf
[gregory@localhost dconf]$ cd db
[gregory@localhost db]$ ls
[gregory@localhost db]$ cd gdm.d
bash: cd: gdm.d: No such file or directory

PCLinux idea was to change the fonts inside this file.
/usr/share/gdm/themes/pclinuxos/modjazz.xml
I tried searching for all the fonts called Arial and changing them all to 20 and then rebooting the system.  I could see no effect on the login screen.

Here a member of PCLinusOS shows what the login screen looks like.  Keep reading down and you will see what the suggestion is.  I tried it and it didn't work.  I posted at the bottom of this what I tried and told them it didn't work.
https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,149548.msg1276366.html#msg1276366

Surly this is not just a PCLinux issue.  If people like Ubuntu can make things work, then there must be a way to make it work here too.  I do know what Xubuntu and Linux Mint Xfce is using LightDM instead of GDM.  I made one attempt at opening up synpatic package manager and searching for LightDM. Doesn't appear to be in the PCLinux Repos.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: GDM Login Does anyone know how to change the font size?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 01:23:07 PM »
Hmmm... I have not used GDM in a very long time. See if there is a configuration utility for it. Optionally, you could just install a different display manager like lightdm. Some examples are HERE. Just install and then tell systemd to make your new display manager default. I prefer lightdm because it is so easy to configure. Thought I would put that out there.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »
Hmmm... I have not used GDM in a very long time. See if there is a configuration utility for it. Optionally, you could just install a different display manager like lightdm. Some examples are HERE. Just install and then tell systemd to make your new display manager default. I prefer lightdm because it is so easy to configure. Thought I would put that out there.

PCLinuxOS does not run SystemD.  I tried looking for LightDM in the repos and it doesn't appear to be in there.  I can look to see if they have other ones.

These are in the repos.
lxdm
sddm

I will need to test these in a virtual machine first.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:10:18 PM by gregorylock »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:39:54 PM »
lxdm is a good choice, you will need to follow the instructions provided by your distro provider for setting it up though... depends on which init you are using

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 06:18:04 PM »
lxdm is a good choice, you will need to follow the instructions provided by your distro provider for setting it up though... depends on which init you are using

I did some cloning and testing on Virtualbox.  I tested each individually.  

It appears that out of the box, PCLinuxOS Mate ships with both GDM and XDM.

I decided to try installing them both.  It appears to give me those instructions after installing the packages.

While installing package sddm-0.14.0-6pclos2017:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1. To start using SDDM as main display manager go to:
 PCLinuxOS Control Center => Boot => Setup display manager. Make your choice,
 apply changes and reboot your computer.

2. If you want get knowledge about all configuration options of SDDM consult
 with its manpage by command: man sddm.conf.

3. If you are running KDE Plasma 5 you can configure SDDM display manager
 in graphical tool available in:
 KMenu -> Computer -> SystemSettings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Login Screen (SDDM).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While installing package lxdm-0.5.3-1pclos2017:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1. To start using LXDM as main display manager go to:
 PCLinuxOS Control Center => Boot => Setup display manager. Make your choice,
 apply changes and reboot your computer.

2. To change some configurable options of LXDM run graphical configurator
 from menu: Menu => More Applications => Configuration => LXDM configurator.

3. To enable LXDM's user-switching function in Xfce or LXDE desktop just
 copy with root privileges /usr/share/doc/lxdm/gdmflexiserver file
 to /usr/local/bin directory.

4. If you plan to change your deafult display manager to other available in
 repository, delete file /usr/local/bin/gdmflexiserver.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 07:00:56 PM by gregorylock »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 04:55:06 PM »
How did that work out for you? Was LXDM a better option?

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »
How did that work out for you? Was LXDM a better option?

Just for the record.  Do not put it in XDM mode.  It gave me problems, and then I had to waste a lot of time figuring out how to get it out of that mode.  The PCLinuxOS Control Center won't load up. I had to go to the terminal and log in as root then run it that way.  Luckily that got me in so that I can access boot, and change it to something else.

I've having trouble deciding between lxdm and sddm.  Either one seems to be a better option.  sddm comes with 3 themes.  The default one doesn't work correctly but the other two does.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 01:06:14 PM »
You are not using Linux until you BREAK a few things... I am not done breaking stuff. Keep fighting the GOOD fight.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 03:20:26 PM »
You are not using Linux until you BREAK a few things... I am not done breaking stuff. Keep fighting the GOOD fight.

This is why I haven't given up.  Every Linux OS comes with it's own bugs.  It takes time to learn how to work around those bugs.  Once you do then things start to smooth out.  Thanks to people like you, I've been able to keep moving ahead.  The Linux community needs each other.   :) 

Offline DQSII

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »

Personally i use ubuntu lts now because im not one that likes to tinker and break things on my linux pc Spatry

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 03:36:17 PM »
Personally i use ubuntu lts now because im not one that likes to tinker and break things on my linux pc Spatry

I'm a conservative and I don't have a lot of motivation.  The only tinkering I do is because I haft too in order to get something working.  With that being said, if I'm in the mood to break something.  Then I'm cool with it.  If I'm not in the mood to break something, and something breaks, then I feel grumpy.

For now I've been using Linux Mint 18.3, and Xubuntu 18.04 as my main systems.  While I'm TRYING to get the bugs worked out of PCLinux Mate.

I think I need to write another post about what I've been experimenting with lately.