I Am ASTONISHED At Ubuntu 20.04's Speed
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: I Am ASTONISHED At Ubuntu 20.04's Speed  (Read 709 times)

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
Re: I Am ASTONISHED At Ubuntu 20.04's Speed
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 10:53:58 PM »
Yeah, windows 10 is great, except for the unavoidable spyware thing.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline eronis

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »
Spyware is everywhere. You don't have to use Windows 10 for that. Do you have a mobile phone? If yes, you are always carrying a bug device with you all the time. If you are living in anywhere technology exist, you will be spied on without exception. If your computer is not 15 years old, you are probably being spied on. If you are typing your reply to this message on Chrome, you are probably being spied on. Windows 10 is a tool, and tools can be modified. Me? I don't care about data collection or spying since I'm already obligated to use Skype and Zoom for my department. I also have to use Whatsapp and Facebook in order to keep up to date with my groups in which I participate. I had to create an outlook account for which I had to wait a literal month to delete just so I could join lectures. So, I no longer care about it as long as it makes my life easier.

If you want to have a lifestyle in which no one can spy on you, I recommend you follow Luke Smith. He's a great guy. A Phd candidate of ELL department which is paralel to my department (ELT). He's very knowledgeable in free software and freedom things.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2eYFnH61tmytImy1mTYvhA

I may sound like a Microsoft fanboy, which I'm not (I'm using Ubuntu these days), but I'm a student. Students need useful tools to make their education hassle-free. When I retire, I may start to care about data privacy, but right now, I need a life that needs privacy if that makes sense :P
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 04:51:23 PM »
I am pretty darned sure I expressed my love for Malware 10 (I mean Windows 10) in "Windows Does What LINUX WON'T"
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline eronis

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 06:05:13 PM »
I am pretty darned sure I expressed my love for Malware 10 (I mean Windows 10) in "Windows Does What LINUX WON'T"
It was a funny episode full of sarcasm :D

I was wondering if you could make a video of Ubuntu 20.04? It would be great to have your thoughts about the latest version of both distro and GNOME :)
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:32 PM »
...and another Windows Does What Linux Won't, LOL!!!
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 10:32:33 PM »
hey spatry linux lite just came with 5.0 to co-inside with ubuntu 20.04
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 03:47:21 AM »
The interesting thing about this to me is that I'm not sure if it's GNOME that was worked on, Ubuntu itself, or both! I'll have to play around with some of the other releases. I'll say this, if Ubuntu is working with the GNOME team on the improvements I've seen in 20.04, I'm really excited for GNOME's future.
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 04:04:04 AM »
Make sure to check MrGizmo's latest video if you use any qt-based apps on the latest ubuntu, there's a theming glitch that takes forever to load some apps but it's pretty easy to fix.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline DQSII

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 03:04:30 AM »
I just ditched win 10 for ubuntu recently when i built my amd ryzen 5 2600x system and am very happy with the latest ubuntu lts release <3

Offline Linux Lounge

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 09:52:35 AM »
Hey all you Linux-y peeps. It's good to be typing away to you folks again.
I have to say. I am ASTONISHED at Ubuntu 20.04's speed. Compared to even a few versions ago, it seems SO MUCH FASTER. To put it into perspective, I'm running it on a 2009 iMac with a Core 2 Duo (3.06 GHz) and 8gb of RAM and I have yet to see a dropped frame, let alone any sort of hangup. My experience may change, but for the moment, it seems to be OUTPERFORMING Manjaro XFCE on this device.
Have any of you played with it? I realize it's just been released, but I was curious to know if anybody had any experience.
Cheers,
Vint

Without a doubt Ubuntu 20.04 is vastly faster, I believe the reason for this is Gnome 3.36, they really did an awesome job with that release, on a distro like Arch it's even better