Xubuntu 20.04 First Test On Real Hardware
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Xubuntu 20.04 First Test On Real Hardware  (Read 177 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Xubuntu 20.04 First Test On Real Hardware
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »
Lately it feels like one of my older Xubuntu 18.04 installs seems to booting slower, and it also seems to be responding a little slower.  I tried running bleachbit to clean as much of system as I know how.  I also tried defragmenting the hard drive.  Since everyone is saying that the new Ubuntu 20.04 is so much faster.  I decide to swap out the hard drive and install Xubuntu 20.04.  In my experience it also seemed to be a little slow.  Next I swapped out the hard drive again, and tried installing Linux Lite 4.8.  I was surprised it was behaving more like I expected Xubuntu to behave.  Right as I'm writing this, I'm going to erase Linux Lite 4.8 and try another install of Xubuntu 20.4.  I want to see if the speed difference is the hard drive or maybe it's the Nvidia drivers.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Xubuntu 20.04 First Test On Real Hardware
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:49:37 PM »
My First install will be the way I normally do.  I selected install the third party software.  If the system seems slow to me, then I'm going to do another install without the third party software.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
Installed Ubuntu 20.04 yesterday on a spare Lenovo ThinkPad T580 and it was really responsive. Definitely surprised me because the experience was leaps and bounds better than 18.04. Not sure how well it plays with the upgrade though... Haven't tried the other offered mainstream DE's yet, but can say for sure that they've definitely done a good job with GNOME. :)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
I don't think it's the hard disk or anything wrong with Xubuntu 20.04.  It seemed to get better as it gets updates.