Hello Spatry and Community!!
Welcome, Guest.
Do you want Bill Gates' MANDATORY Covid-19 Vaccine? Sign this petition!

Author Topic: Hello Spatry and Community!!  (Read 931 times)

Offline Scotts87

Hello Spatry and Community!!
« on: December 16, 2019, 10:44:00 PM »
Just getting back into Linux after several years away. Love learning about Linux, and all the cool things it can do. I am mainly running distros from a virtual machine, but I do have an old computer I fully installed Linux on a few years back. Gotta dust that thing off and update it!
I had checked out Spatry several years ago, and had subscribed back then to his YouTube channel. Glad to see you still here Spatry, with many more videos for me to check out and learn from.
I'll have to check the site contents, but do you have any videos on setting up Virtual Box to run any Linux session with a link to a dedicated folder on any other hard drive on the host system?
Take care, I am just now starting the video halfway through the Command Line boot camp! Sim Links are cool ;D

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Hello Spatry and Community!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and welcome to the community. To answer your question I have several videos on virtualbox. some of those videos are older but they are still relevant by today's standards.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Scotts87

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »
Thanks Spatry, I will be sure to check those out for a refresher. I actually figured it out last night eventually, and got my Virtual Machine guest hooked up to a designated folder on my host PC running Win 10.

Next task, updating an old PC (Dell Gateway from the mid 90's), from Ubuntu 13 installed around 2015, to Arch Linux via your CLI Bootcamp!! Time to get the hands dirty!!

Thanks for all the guidance Spatry. Between your guide, and the fabulous Arch WIKI, I am confident I will make it work.

Regards,
Scott

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 10:38:49 AM »
We are very glad to have you join us, Scotts87! You should be able to find any answers to Linux you need here as this is a vibrant community with lots of experience. 
Joe Johnston

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
hello and welcome to the forum pop a squat and have a looksie the 1st content you should look at is those pesky rules so as too better serve you.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
Welcome to the community Scott! Glad to have you with us. We definitely have a wealth of knowledge on this board and a lot of people willing to dig in and help out with any problems. Hope you enjoy your stay and learn a lot.

Let us know if you ever have any questions. :)

Offline Scotts87

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
Thanks everyone! Happy to be on board. After a few unsuccessful attempts at a dedicated machine installation of Arch, I decided a better route was Zorin. WOW, just blown away at how awesome it is out of the box, and running on an old junky PC I had gathering dust for the last few years. I’ll still keep trying to crack Arch, but in the safe confines of my VM 😉, and Spatrys steps and WiKi