Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus  (Read 1891 times)

Offline DQSII

Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »
Im Just curious has spatry gone on another hiadus from the fourms 

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:05:24 AM »
not really just new job keeps him real busy he pops in from time too time
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
I have not left... I am still here and I am monitoring the forums. Lately I have been doing more with Android than on Linux. Between my job, volunteer work and other activities; I am stumped for show ideas and focusing my efforts in areas I feel are more beneficial. I am not gone forever. When some inspiration hits, I will consider making new videos. YouTube keeps changing the algorithms to benefit the BIG companies and it is hurting the smaller shows financially, that means independent content creators must work 10x as hard for less of a return for time invested, it is as unsettling as it is discouraging. Sorry if I am ranting, I have been going through a little depression lately but rest assured I still think of you guys and wish you all well...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
well unfortunately spatry its now owned by google they dont give a crap about nothing but there bank acct. 
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:29:54 PM »
Well, in addition to a new adpocalypse on YouTube, we also now have the COPPA crap to worry about. That's something you'll also have to figure out for your channel. We will be legally required to say what videos are or aren't for kids. It's weird because COPPA is a privacy act and age appropriateness for YouTube videos has nothing to do with privacy. Of course, you put "family friendly" in quotes in the channel description to very loosely imply it and you do have the "hey, kids" line in a lot of your videos, though I don't believe any of your videos are directly targeted at kids. That's apparently the key thing they're looking for. Whether or not videos are directly aimed at kids or kid-friendly. What constitutes as "for kids" is determined by the FTC apparently. Anyway, ramble aside, now we know why you haven't uploaded in 7 months! Hope to see more from you in the future!
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 02:21:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9FUgzAJun4

"It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad." -Garth Algar
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Chronic Distro Hopper
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 07:08:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9FUgzAJun4

"It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad." -Garth Algar

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB(3600MHz), 500GB 850 EVO, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 + EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | Gentoo

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »
I understand, that was meant as a joke than a stab at anyone.
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline DQSII

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 04:53:02 AM »
LOL I just asked a question i didn't mean to start a flame war LOL

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Chronic Distro Hopper
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 06:49:00 AM »
I wasn't trying to start a flame war either, it was more of a separate comment that could apply to anyone. 

Please don't think of it in that way :(
Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB(3600MHz), 500GB 850 EVO, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 + EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | Gentoo

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »
...and now with this new COPPA BS they will be pushing even more YouTube celebrities away! Smooth move, EX-LAX!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
...and now with this new COPPA BS they will be pushing even more YouTube celebrities away! Smooth move, EX-LAX!

Seriously... who's going to want to post any content on that platform after that? Google with their statement of "mostly kids" using their platform. They just single-handedly annihilated their own platform. I'm sure with the recent change to monetization for current content creators they were making quite a bit from it too. Google is going to lose a lot over their PR mistake. They should start focusing on not running their mouths for their other platforms before they cut off any other trace of revenue smh.

I understand that they earn revenue from a variety of different platforms and products, so they won't go under from this. However, it was definitely an avoidable and costly mistake.

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
Re: Re: Re: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 07:45:20 PM »
Seriously... who's going to want to post any content on that platform after that? Google with their statement of "mostly kids" using their platform. They just single-handedly annihilated their own platform. I'm sure with the recent change to monetization for current content creators they were making quite a bit from it too. Google is going to lose a lot over their PR mistake. They should start focusing on not running their mouths for their other platforms before they cut off any other trace of revenue smh.

I understand that they earn revenue from a variety of different platforms and products, so they won't go under from this. However, it was definitely an avoidable and costly mistake.

They should never have launched YouTube Kids and tried to market YouTube as kid friendly to begin with, let alone lie to the FTC, saying YouTube was only for ages 13 and up (which it is in the official ToS, but still). What ended up happening due to YouTube Kids' existence was Elsagate and other deviant cartoons designed to exploit kids and gain ad revenue from children clicking on them slipped through the cracks, YouTube invented the yellow "not advertiser-friendly" icon as a result, then they'd demonetize people for being too adult and tried to push their platform as being kid-friendly and corporate-friendly despite it always being intended for teens and adults. Then the FTC caught them using targeted ads on children under 13, which they'd been doing for years and lying about not doing, thus collecting data on children without parental consent and violating COPPA and fined them $178 million. The FTC and YouTube then made a settlement that for some silly reason they'd decide to fine and punish US when Google were the ones committing the crime here. Typical of Google to have a hands-off approach. Yes, blame the consumer, not the product or its manufacturer. COPPA itself is not a bad thing, as it does protect the privacy of children from being taken by software or web cookies, but the way it's been handled and is now being enforced on content creators who did nothing wrong is completely ridiculous.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 01:22:01 AM »
Well said. I agree that the intent of COPPA by itself is good, however the execution between Google and the FTC is pretty unreal. This will be the last platform any content creator in the U.S. will want to turn to. Possible fines for mis-categorization and also demonitzation for videos that are deemed to essentially be child appropriate. Even if they are clearly marked as adult content! This is going to hurt a lot of content creators that live here in the states.

I am genuinely curious though how this will affect those international? Can't imagine that Google (or the FTC for that matter) are going to try to pursue charges outside the U.S. Google would probably get hit with the fine instead for videos posted outside the U.S. which is why I mention them. Will they geo-lock YouTube to the U.S. to better manage this? Hopefully not, although who knows?

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
Re: Re: Is Spatry On Another Hiadus
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
I have not left... I am still here and I am monitoring the forums. Lately I have been doing more with Android than on Linux. Between my job, volunteer work and other activities; I am stumped for show ideas and focusing my efforts in areas I feel are more beneficial. I am not gone forever. When some inspiration hits, I will consider making new videos. YouTube keeps changing the algorithms to benefit the BIG companies and it is hurting the smaller shows financially, that means independent content creators must work 10x as hard for less of a return for time invested, it is as unsettling as it is discouraging. Sorry if I am ranting, I have been going through a little depression lately but rest assured I still think of you guys and wish you all well...

Ugh, so very sorry to hear this, Spatry! I love when you are active with videos but understand the situation and hope it improves soon. Thank you for all you do for this community! 
Joe Johnston