hihi from Arcavius!
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: hihi from Arcavius!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Arcavius

• Arch or BUST!
  • Contributor
hihi from Arcavius!
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:52:18 PM »
Spatry says I should introduce myself, so... I'm an amateur content creator in vr and an avid computer geek. I have training as an MCSE with about 20 years invested in windoze. Now, I've moved away from that monolith and jumped head first into the linux world.
Over the years, I've dabbled with various distros, testing out Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian and Slackware, but never felt confident enough to run it on a production box.  Two years ago, though, after more than a year of total frustration with Microsoft (and a critical series of kernel panics...), I decided, at the urging of Spatry, to try Manjaro. I never bothered fixing windows and never will. Glad to be here and looking forward to learning more from everyone than I already have reading the forums.

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
Re: hihi from Arcavius!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 11:49:04 AM »
We are very glad you introduced yourself! Thank you for taking the time and being a part of our community!
Joe Johnston

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:00:56 PM »
Welcome Arcavius! Glad to have you here. I' in a similar boat where I started dabbling with Linux around the time of Ubuntu 4.10 and Fedora Core. There were a few times that I broke away from using Windows altogether (except in unavoidable cases, such as at work). However, I refused to have it installed on any personal device. I ultimately had to return (in a sense) with having a dedicated partition for Windows so that I could take my online proctored exams with my university. Strictly that and nothing else. I even did my studying within the Linux distro at the time. They weren't so keen on the idea of me using Linux and actually refused to allow me to take my test until I used something that they supported.

Anyway, here I am happily Windows-free and back to enjoying my computing experience without worrying about some multi-billion dollar company spying on everything I do. Taking that, creating an Advertising ID, and selling that info to advertisers. Can't stand the non-sense with Microsoft.

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 11:55:08 AM »
Greetings, Arcavius! Good to meet you! My first experience was Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10, but I was too stubborn to learn or change at the time. Then we had to use 12.04 for high school which got me to jump on the Linux bandwagon and learn more about it. I installed Elementary OS at home, then switched to Ubuntu, then Manjaro, then Slackware, then Fedora, etc. I have used a ton of DEs over the years including GNOME, MATE, KDE, Xfce, Unity, etc. My favorite has been Xfce for a long time but I also really like MATE.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
Hello and welcome! Windows certainly does suck anymore. I hate having to support a product I can't endorse.
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 07:36:38 AM »
Welcome to the community... look around, there is a lot of learning here!!!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!