I've done it again...
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: I've done it again...  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
I've done it again...
« on: June 16, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnH4yNqL8E

After a very frustrating update relating to Fedora, breaking several of my machines both at home and at work, I began the Distro Hunt yet again, pun intended. I decided to try an often over looked Distro, Debian, and fell in love at first sight almost immediately. Yeah, she's older, but she's so much more mature than all these other pretty young Distro's struttin' around.

I also wanted something different than GNOME because I'm simply getting bored with it, so I went with KDE. I've got to say I'm very impressed with this Debian-KDE combo. All my experience with KDE is from openSUSE and it never really stuck with me mostly because of it's complexity with YaST and all the intertwined workings involved with openSUSE, lack of software compatibility, etc.

Anyway, so yeah, I decided to put the hat up, another pun, and I like Debian now. That is all...

Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: I've done it again...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
the video was a nice touch though lmao.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline eronis

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:42:43 AM »
openSUSE lacks software? :D I think you are approaching things in the wrong way. Snaps are everywhere. I'm not even getting to Flatpak packages. These packages alone make tons of packages available on any distro out there. I've been using openSUSE for about a year or so. There are some rare packages like gameconqueror I couldn't find in either of the sources. If that is the case, I simply install it manually. Again, it happens really rarely. I'm not trying to install all packages on repositories. I only install what I need.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:21:55 AM »
It seems youtube took the video down.
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31:45 AM »
Just curious, what was the update/issue with fedora ?

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Re: Re: I've done it again...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:17:18 AM »
lacks software? :D I think you are approaching things in the wrong way.

Exactly right. But this is what keeps me on Debian. I think it is the most advanced base. It's not close to old or out of date, especially when you consider you can compile yourself, or more likely use one of the new fangled formats. I'm fond of appimages myself. And I test things in a vm since downloading random stuff can bite you..

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »
I don't mean completely lacking in compatibility, there's the openSUSE software center and of course there's snap, but it just seems like you have to work a lot harder to obtain the same goal in openSUSE, and it all boils down to YaST. Specifically PIA. In Debian, all I have to do is install their software and off I go. In Fedora, I had to run a few commands to add PIA to openVPN and do things that way, which was fine, but it worked and was relatively simple to get working. However in openSUSE, there's YaST to consider. PIA's software doesn't work, I mean it runs but it won't connect to any of it's VPN servers. So now I have to learn the YaST way of things and this is where it turns into too much work to get to the same goal, which is getting software to work. Two commands is all it takes in Debian.

I use VMware a lot nowadays, both professionally and personally, and for me this is where Fedora dropped the ball. They had a firmware upgrade that broke VMware pretty bad. I found a bash script that essentially rebuilt a bunch of stuff so that the VMware installer could compile itself to the new kernel. I can't be doing that every time there's an update, it just wastes too much time. Plus WINE broke too. For some reason Fedora's WINE version doesn't match up with winetricks anymore, so winetricks ends up either overwriting WINE or is a version behind and crashes. Now I have to waste more time learning how to rollback WINE versions to match winetricks and battle with keeping those packages in sync with each other. It may be a minor problem to some, but it should just work without intervention. I feel like it's the gamble one takes when you choose bleeding edge technology over something slower and more stable. It's the nature of the beast. Software companies shouldn't be expected to keep such a fast pace, and this is what essentially happened with me and Fedora.

I'm not trying to bash Fedora, it's still a very well built OS, it just isn't working for my needs. openSUSE would be great too if not for YaST. If openSUSE didn't have a GUI, then YaST makes sense to me, but it does have a GUI, with many easy to use features, most of which come with every DE available, which now we have two areas for settings and two package managers fighting for dominance, so why YaST? Pride? Originality? IDK, maybe I'm missing the point as to what YaST really is. Either way, it's too much clutter and that's what kills openSUSE for me. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) Maybe openSUSE should drop KDE/GNOME and begin work on their own desktop environment. They've already got a lot of the ground work done with YaST, so why not? I guess I'm just ranting at this point because I really, genuinely want to like openSUSE, but YAST!!! It's like that blond chick you want to date but she won't ditch that damn annoying yap trap lap dog!

This is where Debian steps up, to me. So far, two weeks in and everything I've installed just works. Longevity is key here and Debian seemingly blows away the competition. So far requiring no patches, workarounds, tutorials, research, hacks, or the like. I installed it and off I went to do work which is more than I can say for everything else I've tried over the years. The QT platform is pretty sweet too. It looks better than GNOME, it doesn't seem to require the type of hacking to customize it like GNOME does, and it's even lighter than GNOME for those resource conscious users. I may only be two weeks into Debian, but it's been nothing but a win-win and an over all better experience for me so far. I just wanted to share my experience on that because lately I feel like I've been going on the ultimate distro hunting adventure. Every post I make here is like a log of my journey and the experiences I've.........ex...per...i...enced.

Custom Linux PC AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 32GB DDR4 1TB M.2 NVMe 4TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 01:15:17 PM »
....And I dropped Debian and switched to Slitaz for a leaner server to run my simulation on.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 10:34:43 PM »
....And I dropped Debian and switched to Slitaz for a leaner server to run my simulation on.

Short, simple, and straight to the point. I don't know how, but I always end up writing walls of text.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 12:13:41 PM »

Short, simple, and straight to the point. I don't know how, but I always end up writing walls of text.
it just means your in the zone crimson lmao.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.