Arch Linux Partitioning
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Arch Linux Partitioning  (Read 1765 times)

Offline x1066x

Arch Linux Partitioning
« on: May 13, 2019, 02:25:03 PM »
I've used Linux many times over the years, and now I'm going to make the move from Winblows 10 to linux (Which I've done a few times), When I did these past moves it was other distros which did automatic partitioning for you, I would like to keep the partitions all separate like so:

/BOOT 200 or EFI 550
/ROOT 15GB or 20GB
/VAR 8 to 12GB
/SWAP 16GB
/HOME Rest

this is an eample I put together my self, the query I need to know is What Size partitions should I choose for each? I'm using A 1 Terabyte Mechanical Hard Drive, are the sizes I put fine, or should I change them?

Cheers in Advance :) sorry for the long windedness!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Arch Linux Partitioning
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »
If that works for you.... Run with it =D
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline kc9iid

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:19:10 PM »
I make the root 30GB most od the time, and the swap at least equal to the memory, although many people are using a swap file instead.  I also place the home last so if the OS has to be reinstalled, I can keep the home and keep all my docs, pics, etc.  I agree with your setup.  Good luck.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:11:18 AM »
Don't laugh, but I have a STRANGE partition scheme... My OS is on a 120G SSD and I have in internal 500G HDD.
the SSD holds the root file system (and home) on one partition... the HDD is for archive data and personal files. I use Simlinks to the HDD for various things...
package cache, archives, media, documents and other files which waste valuable SSD space are simlinked to the HDD for optimum efficiency.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:02:09 PM »
I make the root 30GB most od the time, and the swap at least equal to the memory, although many people are using a swap file instead.  I also place the home last so if the OS has to be reinstalled, I can keep the home and keep all my docs, pics, etc.  I agree with your setup.  Good luck.

I would agree with this idea of making the /Root larger, although I would probably go even larger than 30... up to about 60>100.

The reason being, a lot of your applications are stored to /usr somewhere and /usr is under /(root) so if you add a lot of apps, you can find yourself running out of root... the other solution is to have a separate /usr

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:53:34 AM »
I prefer to keep mine altogether under root dir, although I understand that (from a restoration standpoint), that is a very big no-no. Then again, most of my stuff is all saved in the cloud, so I'm able to start over without too much trouble vs somebody who stores a ton of stuff locally. Eh, everyone's setup will be a bit different.  :D