Proposal & Plan for JULinux 19.04 lite, full, 32 bit, & 64 bit.
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Proposal & Plan for JULinux 19.04 lite, full, 32 bit, & 64 bit.  (Read 1610 times)

Offline JustUseLinux

The plan is to base JULinux 19.04 off of Ubuntu Mate 19.04, using the mini net installer to make sure we get both 64 bit and 32 bit bases, and because we should be able to eliminate a lot of clutter at the start.

At the people's request, we will do a lite version, without libreoffice and other large packages, with only the essentials. We want to include testdisk, gparted, and other diagnostic utilities to use in live mode. As in the past we want to include a Finish Install script that will install any extra stuff people want, including stuff that will come with the full version.

This time you can help us to figure out how to give our Finish Install script a GUI front end. In the past we used code for a GUI, and after it was updated it stopped working with our code. It seems there may be new ways of doing this.

The Remaster software does not seem to include an option to go right into install mode without starting in live mode, this is something we want to fix as well.

The goal of JULinux is simple, to make a Linux Distribution that acts and feels like Windows XP/7 so that people switching to Linux won't want to go back to using Windows.

Instead of including Google Chromium or Firefox, I want to include Waterfox for both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Mozilla Seamonkey is great for editing webpages, and as a browser as well. Chrome and Chromium should be an option, although they are required for Google Hangouts, Amazon prime video, Netflix, and other closed source DRM. I have found that YouTube Videos, Facebook Videos... don't seem to work all the time in Google Chrome and Chromium, but always work in Waterfox. Sometimes Waterfox updates can have little glitches, and Waterfox does need it's cash cleared often in order to keep going. Waterfox is not friendly with 50 tabs being open, but Chrome loves lots of tabs.

For video editing KDENLIVE is a great choice.

In our Finish Installer we need to include every codec for DVDs, mp3, mp4, flac, as well as plugins such as adobe flash player, wine, playonlinux, Lutris, Steam, and any compatibility options we can add to make Windows users more at home. Experts in using Wine have found that there are other things to install like Vulcan plugins and such. Help in this department is appreciated.

As a separate option in the Finish Installer, we will ask users if they want tons of games, and have a game pack that will fill up their hard drive with Linux Games.

In the 64 bit version, we will ask people if they want Google Chrome. It is not available for 32 bit.

I want to include pre-installed browser bookmarks to uncensored social media sites, as well as to my affiliate links that help support me and my distribution. I think it's important to show people uncensored social media. If only there were monetized alternatives to YouTube that stayed around as long.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:10:22 AM by JustUseLinux »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Proposal & Plan for JULinux 18 lite, full, 32 bit, & 64 bit.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 03:28:19 PM »
Welcome to the community, feel free to hop on Mumble .... I try to be on there daily between 6pm to 9PM EST. I never built Ubuntu but I am sure there are a handful of people who do... I know how to build a nice Manjaro re-spin but my personal preferences prohibit me from building Ubuntu. I can share with you some tips which helped me in building distributions and it may guide you in streamlining yours.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline ben (gentoo/linux) fitzpatrick

• mCOLe Maintainer & Dirty Helga's Apprentice
  • Staff Member
  • Mr. Arch Linux
Re: Proposal & Plan for JULinux 18 lite, full, 32 bit, & 64 bit.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:16 PM »
whatever help you can offer us spatry would be great, i know how to build Ubuntu, but not design a gui for a finish installer. So whatever you or anyone can offer is perfect.
the Arch man

Offline JustUseLinux

Thanks for your response. Yes we have experience doing this, but any input as far as what should go into the distribution and what should be left out is appreciated.

Ben has some ideas that should help us meet all our goals.

Thanks again, and may God bless you!

Mumble isn't something I've used before. I'm not sure how to access it from my PC. It's website simply wants me to pay for web services.

Welcome to the community, feel free to hop on Mumble .... I try to be on there daily between 6pm to 9PM EST. I never built Ubuntu but I am sure there are a handful of people who do... I know how to build a nice Manjaro re-spin but my personal preferences prohibit me from building Ubuntu. I can share with you some tips which helped me in building distributions and it may guide you in streamlining yours.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Justin... the CHAT button at the top of the screen provides a link to THIS PAGE which has instructions on installing and connecting to us on Mumble. The CHAT page also has a Mumble viewer so you can see who is online before connecting...

Ben made me aware last night that you are 3 hours behind me... I get up very early every morning so I am usually in bed by 9:30PM EST. At any rate I will try my best to be on Mumble today from 6-9PM EST... I may not always have the screen focused... Hopefully, Ben will drop in during that time as well, he is on staff and can register you so that you can speak on there. I understand you have direct communication with him so one way or another we can get a group conference going.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline JustUseLinux

Thanks for your info Sparty. I've been busy with a lot of things.

It seems so far everything has went smooth as far as setting everything up.

There have been some hickups along the way with package dependancies, causing other issues, but now that we have that figured out, I think we can start over, and get a successful result.

We are going to make computers great again! newbielink:https://www.minds.com/newsfeed/973461295822843904 [nonactive] 

Because people want a small light weight image, we decided to go Ubuntu Mate Minimal.   It doesn't seem to matter what Office Suite we want to install, they all seem to be large once installed (ones that support PPT). So a large office suite will probably be left for the finish install.

Another huge package is ubiquity and it's dependencies. By being able to leave it out, the image should be smaller. It says it needs 800MB of disk space, and seems to come on all standard Ubuntu Distros.  The current image is 2GB for 64 bit, and I think we can get it down to 1.2GBs maybe, or maybe less. I guess we will see.

Prayers appreciated :)  We have only spent a couple days on it, but put in a lot of effort and time. Late nights.

Post Merge: May 28, 2019, 10:41:50 PM
Well, it didn't go quite as originally planned, but we got an amd64 and i686 distribution version released, and they both seem perfect. It's based on Mate Minimal 18.04, and you can read all about it here: newbielink:https://sourceforge.net/p/ultumix/news/2019/05/julinux-180402-amd64-released/ [nonactive]  A Cup of Linux might be pleasantly surprised?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:41:50 PM by JustUseLinux »