Xubuntu 18.04 Data Collection?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Xubuntu 18.04 Data Collection?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Xubuntu 18.04 Data Collection?
« on: May 05, 2019, 06:54:55 PM »
I got a question.  I'm aware that Ubuntu 18.04 has taken some criticism for collecting hardware data.  This is something you can turn off.  However when I installed Xubuntu 18.04 I noticed that the option to turn it off or on doesn't seem to be present.  Does Xubuntu collect Hardware data like Ubuntu 18.04?

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Xubuntu 18.04 Data Collection?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 01:24:37 AM »
I'm not aware of it collecting data, however it wouldn't surprise me. It looks like this is something that can be turned off from the terminal --at least in the main Ubuntu distro, not sure how it works in the other desktop environments. Can try the following command.

Code: [Select]
ubuntu-report -f send no
https://www.howtogeek.com/349844/how-to-stop-ubuntu-from-collecting-data-about-your-pc/

Hopefully this helps out.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
I was under the impression on-going collection was done by zeitgeist? You can maybe purge that package?
The popularity contest I think is a good idea, so I allow that.
I wouldn't be surprised if zeitgeist is entangled with dependencies much deeper in Ubuntu's than my home brew Debian.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Xubuntu 18.04 Data Collection?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
I'm not aware of it collecting data, however it wouldn't surprise me. It looks like this is something that can be turned off from the terminal --at least in the main Ubuntu distro, not sure how it works in the other desktop environments. Can try the following command.

ubuntu-report -f send no

https://www.howtogeek.com/349844/how-to-stop-ubuntu-from-collecting-data-about-your-pc/

Hopefully this helps out.

I don't think ubuntu-report is on the Xubuntu 18.04.  I will need to boot into a Live unaltered environment and report back.  Here is some of the things I tried on this Xubuntu install.

:~$man ubuntu-report
No manual entry for ubuntu-report

:~$ which ubuntu-report
:~$

:~/.cache$ ls -1
fontconfig
gstreamer-1.0
mesa_shader_cache
mozilla
sessions
thumbnails
waterfox
xfce4

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
In case you missed it:
Excuse me that code boxes don't work for me on this site...

user@buster:~$   apt-cache policy zeitgeist*
zeitgeist-datahub:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.0.1-1
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1 500
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
zeitgeist-core:
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1 500
zeitgeist-explorer:
  Candidate: 0.2-1.2
  Version table:
     0.2-1.2 500
zeitgeist:
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1 500
zeitgeist-extension-fts:
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:user@buster:~$   apt-cache policy zeitgeist*
zeitgeist-datahub:
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1 500
zeitgeist-core:
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1 500
zeitgeist-explorer:
  Candidate: 0.2-1.2
  Version table:
     0.2-1.2 500
zeitgeist:
  Version table:
     1.0.1-1 500
zeitgeist-extension-fts:
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:01:49 PM »
In case you missed it:
Excuse me that code boxes don't work for me on this site...

I don't know anything about Zeitgeist.  I don't recall anyone criticizing Ubuntu for that.  I'm not even sure I understand why you even bring up Zeitgeist.  Only if it sends data about how I'm using my computer back to someone else, does it bother me!

Anyways here is what I found on Zeitgeist:  What is zeitgeist used for?  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Zeitgeist

The bottom line is data collection on me, makes me angry!  Angry enough to stop using the internet.  If Linux is going to start doing the same thing Microsoft Windows does, then one might as well use Windows.

I get tired of hearing bad things about Ubuntu.  I feel lucky that I'm able to use Ubuntu.  If it wasn't for Ubuntu, I wouldn't be using Linux at all!

I'm not going to write anymore because I only feel like writing more angry words, and I need to cool down.  Sorry!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
It's understandable. Privacy is always going to be a struggle, especially since there is little regulation on how data can be used. It's being thrown left and right to advertisers. I'm not going to start a political debate on whether or not this data should be regulated. However, it would be nice if these companies would just respect our right to privacy. I'd be willing to pay for an operating system that doesn't violate my privacy and that can prove it. I hate the direction that everything is going. Pretty much why I adblock all sites and block cookies and trackers with Ghostery. Not that I don't want to support the developers (or those that publish articles, and so on). I'm more than happy to donate money to them if I like the content. Just sick of my data getting tossed around for somebody else's profit. Unfortunately, just not using the internet is not an option.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:39:21 AM »
It's understandable. Privacy is always going to be a struggle, especially since there is little regulation on how data can be used. It's being thrown left and right to advertisers. I'm not going to start a political debate on whether or not this data should be regulated. However, it would be nice if these companies would just respect our right to privacy. I'd be willing to pay for an operating system that doesn't violate my privacy and that can prove it. I hate the direction that everything is going. Pretty much why I adblock all sites and block cookies and trackers with Ghostery. Not that I don't want to support the developers (or those that publish articles, and so on). I'm more than happy to donate money to them if I like the content. Just sick of my data getting tossed around for somebody else's profit. Unfortunately, just not using the internet is not an option.

I agree with you.  I also adblock everything via ublock and hosts file.

When I wrote this post I thought it was going to be a simple answer to a simple question.  I was not expecting people to uncover more ubuntu and debian controversy.  I really don't care if my computer keeps track of what I do as long as I can erase it.  WHAT I DON'T WANT IT DOING IS SENDING DATA FROM THE OS BACK TO SOMEONE.  While I don't think I do anything that bad. *Nobody is a 100 percent perfect.  Societies Change.  Laws Change.  It's bad enough that stupid google and many others over reach.  The main reason why I came to Linux is because it's supposed to be different.  If it fails me then I don't know what I'm going to do.  I don't think I can be a full time Arch user.  Even if in the future, I could master something like Arch, the way I see it, the damage to my information is already done!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »
The only way to ensure you are not sending data to ANYONE is to unplug or remove all network interfaces and smash them to pieces! Sadly, if you use the internet, data is being shared with someone... Using VM, Tor, VPN and other privacy services are not enough... DATA IS STILL BEING EXCHANGED...

It seems these days, nothing is private anymore:
``Hello!  Is this Gordon's Pizza?

No sir, it's Google's Pizza.

Did I dial the wrong number?

No sir, Google bought the pizza store.

Oh, alright - then I’d like to place an order please.

Okay sir, do you want the usual?

The usual?  You know what my usual is?

According to the caller ID, the last 15 times you’ve ordered a 12-slice with double-cheese, sausage, and thick crust.

Okay - that’s what I want this time too.

May I suggest that this time you order an 8-slice with ricotta, arugula, and tomato instead?

No, I hate vegetables.

But your cholesterol is not good.

How do you know?

Through the subscribers guide.  We have the results of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

Maybe so, but I don’t want the pizza you suggest – I already take medicine for high cholesterol.

But you haven’t taken the  medicine regularly. 4 months ago you purchased from Drugsale Network a box of only 30 tablets.

I bought more from another drugstore.

It's not showing on your credit card sir.

I paid in cash.

But according to your bank statement you did not withdraw that much cash.

I have another source of cash.

This is not showing on your last tax form, unless you got it from an undeclared income source.

To HELL With Ur Pizza..!! ENOUGH!! I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp. I'm going to an island without internet, where there’s no cellphone line, and no one to spy on me ...

I understand sir, but you’ll need to renew your PASSPORT ... it expired 5 weeks ago.```
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »
I'm not saying zeitgeist proper leaks personal data. I'm saying things to come that hook into it CAN, and WILL. It is a package that needlessly ties in and provides questionable if not redundant functionality for the user. I'm 99.9% sure all Ubutu's have it. It's simply a needless package I don't feel belongs in a default installation. Why have it and go to the trouble of turning it 'off'. I seem to hear it is difficult to remove, I don't know. But that long post shows all traces can be stripped out and I have not figured out what functionality I'm missing.

Spatry is right. We've come to the time nothing is actually enough. Personally, I think we lost. We, the random user. Collection can happen 'above' our direct control. The push into our systems is not so much to collect the information as much as it is used to confirm it. I started testing this years back. I'd come across some internal discusions about the data collected and the reality is they guess on almost everything, and they guess right about 1 in 3. So when the tin hat says they know because of your smart meter that you just made coffee, it's BS. They ASSUME that's what the 150 watt draw for 12 minutes at 6:30AM is all about. Lots of this data collection crap is on this level, assumption. I think it's inaccuracy has yet to bite.
Anyway, I divide up the browser with vm's. 5-6 of them, individualized and isolated. No cross referring cookies on my setup. I run them all wide open, no useless host file, not one extension in the browser, nothing. If they'd like to collate my activity at the isp, what can I do. For those VPN believers, I can only say your hiring the collator directly. They just can't use my machine for the purpose.