Creating a bootable iso on a CD-ROM
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Creating a bootable iso on a CD-ROM  (Read 1878 times)

Offline DPS

Creating a bootable iso on a CD-ROM
« on: April 24, 2019, 12:45:22 AM »
Hey Spat, id like to request a tutorial! 

Ok, so I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong while trying to create a bootable CD ROM. I've tried to burn the boot manager iso to the cd, using brasero, but when I try to boot from it the old gateway tells me that it failed and that I need to insert the system disc. 
  so, I guess I'm wanting to know exactly how, step by step, to create a bootable CD-ROM that will boot on old computers that don't have the option to boot from USB. 

Thanks a million!
oh, and am I allowed to post threads about all the hardware projects that I've got going on? Like, I've broken down my s8 and connected an HDMI adapter to it, and am in the middle of making all of that permanent, and in a nice box with an io shield! Things of that nature. I have a LOT more things like that going on! 

CHEERS!

DPS 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Creating a bootable iso on a CD-ROM
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:07:23 AM »
I have had problems writing an iso image to disk with brasero so I usually use xfburn instead...

I am assuming you are downloading Plop Linux. HERE is the small CD sized image and the md5sum is 3a3b559d27d0eaef8b323508334d8f9f

Once the iso has downloaded, you should check the md5sum to ensure the download did not get corrupted in transit... that happens sometimes! Open a terminal and issue the following command.
Code: [Select]
md5sum ploplinux-19.1-S-i486.isomake certain the md5sum matches the number I have supplied. The Plop Linux website has md5sums on all of their image downloads here for reference.

Insert a blank CD into the optical drive

Open XFBurn and choose: Burn image
     The dialog allows you to select the iso image you wish to burn to disk.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline DPS

Re: Re: Creating a bootable iso on a CD-ROM
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
I have had problems writing an iso image to disk with brasero so I usually use xfburn instead...

I am assuming you are downloading Plop Linux. HERE is the small CD sized image and the md5sum is 3a3b559d27d0eaef8b323508334d8f9f

Once the iso has downloaded, you should check the md5sum to ensure the download did not get corrupted in transit... that happens sometimes! Open a terminal and issue the following command.
Code: [Select]
md5sum ploplinux-19.1-S-i486.iso
make certain the md5sum matches the number I have supplied. The Plop Linux website has md5sums on all of their image downloads here for reference.

Insert a blank CD into the optical drive

Open XFBurn and choose: Burn image
     The dialog allows you to select the iso image you wish to burn to disk.

NICE! Trying it right meeeoowwww, and ill get back to you with my results big bro!

Post Merge: April 24, 2019, 05:51:31 PM
So, I tried it following what you taught me and it gives me the error "boot from ATAPI CD-ROM : Failure...
BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

Seems to me they keep yelling at us lmao
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:51:31 PM by DPS »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
That should not be happening... when you write the ISO image are you using the SLOWEST possible burn speed? In a mass produced world, there is also a chance of BAD MEDIA... Hence I prefer RW disks...

Offline DPS

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:39:06 PM »
That should not be happening... when you write the ISO image are you using the SLOWEST possible burn speed? In a mass produced world, there is also a chance of BAD MEDIA... Hence I prefer RW disks...

ok so, the disc image is verified as good, because I am now booting it from an Optiplex that has no support for USB boot. However, it still won't boot from the older machine. Hmm, I'm definitely perplexed. 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 06:51:02 AM »
There could be something wrong with the optical drive on the older machine,,,, got a spare cd/dvd rom to swap out and put to the test?

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
how up-to-date are the BIOS on that machine?

If it's not a bad CD drive, then it's likely an out-of-date BIOS... but please don't ask me any questions about updating BIOS on older machines... I am losing enough hair already!

Offline DPS

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
There could be something wrong with the optical drive on the older machine,,,, got a spare cd/dvd rom to swap out and put to the test?

just swapped the drives, still the same error. Dang. 

how up-to-date are the BIOS on that machine?

If it's not a bad CD drive, then it's likely an out-of-date BIOS... but please don't ask me any questions about updating BIOS on older machines... I am losing enough hair already!

let me check and see if i can find an updated bios... i didnt even think about that. Ill be back soon!  

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:17:18 PM »
if you list all the possible causes of this issue you get:

1) bad CD drive
2) bad cable connecting drive to Motherboard
3) bad motherboard or bad port on motherboard
4) out of date or corrupted BIOS

I honestly can't think of any other possible issue

(unless this machine is so old that it's using IDE/ISA style drives, and even older yet, these IDE/ISA ports don't have "cable select", in which case it could be an issue of not having the Master/Slave settings set correctly.)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 09:48:40 AM »
if you list all the possible causes of this issue you get:

1) bad CD drive
2) bad cable connecting drive to Motherboard
3) bad motherboard or bad port on motherboard
4) out of date or corrupted BIOS

I honestly can't think of any other possible issue
Hence my original suggestion to try a spare device if available. That is the first thing I would try if I were in a similar situation. My gut instinct says it is a bad drive because we know this disk can boot on other machines...

Another thing to try... If there is an OS on the affected machine, try to download the iso and burn it on that machine and see of it produces a different result.

Another thing to consider is that some types of media may be incompatible with certain types of drives... there is the +R and -R designation for some types of media usually for DVD. Did you burn a DVD and try to boot it on a CD? Is the drive a DVD drive and you used CD or DVD -R or DVD +R... some optical devices may have compatibility problems with +R or -R. I know I am rambling here, but this came to mind and I figured I would put it out there.

Offline DPS

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 06:15:10 PM »
Hey all! 

I've been on vacation (really just been off grid fighting bugs) and just now am getting settled back in. I'll read through the suggestions and get back to you all as soon as possible! 

thank you!