Hello from Germany / What I think about Linux (long post)
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Hello from Germany / What I think about Linux (long post)  (Read 4076 times)

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Hello from Germany / What I think about Linux (long post)
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »
Hello, my name is Jan and I'm an 18 years old student from (western) Germany (sorry if my english is unusual/bad/strange :D). I use Linux for about a year now and that is the time I watch Spat's videos.
I used many different (*buntu-) distros and since 2-3 months manjaro, which is ABSOLUTELY my favorite distro. It's impressive how fast and easy it is.

That's practically it, but I now go further into detail just in case somebody is interested in an user-experience thing from a former windows-user.
As I already mentioned, it's about a year ago, that I first installed Ubuntu next to Windows 7. It just blew my mind, what was possible with Ubuntu, although, I now find it's a quite closed-distro compared to others (What I mean is: Unity isn't very customizable). I used Ubuntu much more than Windows 7 at that time, although I was (and still am) a Gamer. I soon switched to Linux Mint, but made a big mistake while installing: I didn't chose "install alongside Windows 7", but "erase HDD". However, it wasn't that big of a deal for me, as I liked Linux more anyways, most of my games/programs ran in wine (or had a native alternative) and I previously backed up all my important data.
I distro-hopped for a while and 2-3 months ago I discovered Manjaro and it quickly became my favorite distro.
Also today, I think it was a "good accident" when my windows partition got wiped, as it encouraged me learning more about Linux. I didn't regret the decision trying it out and I'm happy to be part of this community now.
What I really like about Linux is that I can tweak ANYTHING until I really like it. Tired of my desktop? Well, I just install another one. Also, it uses much less resources than windows 7 did, so the performance of my machine increased dramatically (well, I use LXDE so this was to be expected). As many Programs and Games are multiplatform now (steadily increasing), I hardly use WINE anymore. I find it quite amazing, that so many Linux-Programs are free of costs and/or open-source. That isn't a thing I know from the Windows world. (I'm not hating against Windows... Linux just suits me more. If it's not for you: Go ahead, use whatever you like)
Another thing I like about it is the way you install programs. When you use Windows, you google what you need, find out the name of a program, then go to a website you trust and download it. Under *butu it wasn't actually that different, as you have to find a PPA for it in most cases. And that's the thing that amazed me the most about ARCH-based distros. You just search in the repos/AUR for a program, all within your terminal and you exactly know: It's only what you want. You won't get a stupid toolbar alongside.
I'm sure there is more that I forgot to mention now, but those are the things that came to my mind now...
With that said:

Hello Linux-World, here I am (:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:25:41 PM by JayVii »

Offline drum

• Spatry's IRON FIST!
  • Contributor
  • the Spamhammer
    • linux-mania
Re: Hello from Germany / What I think about Linux (long post)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
welcome to the Spatry's cup of linux forum JayVii, hope you enjoy your stay here ;)
The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way." http://i61.tinypic.com/2emgzrp.jpg

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »
Welcome to the community JayVii! Manjaro is a magnificent choice! I have to give you credit, your English was easy for me to understand. Thanks for sharing your story with us! We are happy to have you here!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
Thanks you two for the warm words (: I really love to be part of this comunity

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:14:42 PM »
hello and welcome to the cup of linux forum jayvii we all hope you enjoy your stay with us
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline orthodox57

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:46:42 AM »
8)  hi and wellcome to sparty's cup of linux, i hope that you will have a great time here, i liked your story

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »
THANKS! :D
It's really cool to get reactions on an introduction.

I'm glad I could entertain someone (:

Offline Teddy

• Contributor
  • Ubuntu, because I'm lazy... :)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
Welcome to Spatry's Cup Of Linux! Drop by the chatroom for all day Linux talk!
Theo ETZ
Current Distros: KDE Neon, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux Lite + more!

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:18 AM »
Welcome aboard!  I already talked with you in the chatroom, but after reading this just thought I'd mention that Spatry has a lot of Europen/ESL posters, so don't worry about it.  It's a great community for sure, and your English is better than a lot of Americans I know.  :)