Arch Goal
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Arch Goal  (Read 1109 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Arch Goal
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:04:31 PM »
I came up with an idea.  This idea might waste a lot of time, but I decided it will be worth it.

I talked about how I don't think Arch can be moved from one computer to another.  While that may or may not be true, I think I have an idea.

Firstly I want to make it clear why I'm doing this.  In a nutshell I made only one of my computers a test rig.  When I'm testing ubuntu installs I use the test rig to install the distro onto a test drive and then move that drive from that computer to the one I want to run the distro on.  Why do I do it this way?  Because it insures that I don't accentually erase one of my internally mounted drives.  Also I don't need to unplug the machine, take the screws out, and unplug the main drive.  My end goal is to just do a base arch install, no desktop, nothing fancy at all,  No nonfree drivers of any kind!   Once that is done, then I'll move that New SSD drive to the computer I want to run it on.  If the distro will still boot, I will continue to install things.  At this point if I want any nonfree drivers I will install them.  If this doesn't work, then that is fine.  I'll know that I can't do it this way.  BTW I will be following the Arch wiki doing everything the Arch way, except for the part of trying to move the drive, from one computer to the other.

Installation Guide is already printed.

Install Test Rig Computer with SSD already in drive bay.

If all works out I will be running Arch from the Icy Dock Drive Bay on this Machine

Post Merge: March 31, 2019, 08:09:40 PM
I got Arch installing.  Once it does I might try the move.  If it doesn't and I haft to do something special.  I will simply put it back in the same computer.  Maybe try installing a few more things.  And then wipe it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:09:40 PM by gregorylock »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Arch Goal
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »
Installing Arch Linux is ONLY THE BEGINNING... Then you get the joys of maintaining it... Arch is more than an OS... it is a LEARNING EXPERIENCE. I would suggest keeping an Arch machine to use as a daily driver... KEEPING regular backups... this way you can roll back changes if there is breakage... Always READ the wiki and the latest news releases before updating... those pages contain critical information in the even user intervention is required for an upgrade...

Once you get used to using an Arch based system, the idea of using anything else becomes unthinkable UNLESS you have a server which requires stability... I use Debian for that...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Arch Goal
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »
Installing Arch Linux is ONLY THE BEGINNING... Then you get the joys of maintaining it... Arch is more than an OS... it is a LEARNING EXPERIENCE. I would suggest keeping an Arch machine to use as a daily driver... KEEPING regular backups... this way you can roll back changes if there is breakage... Always READ the wiki and the latest news releases before updating... those pages contain critical information in the even user intervention is required for an upgrade...

Once you get used to using an Arch based system, the idea of using anything else becomes unthinkable UNLESS you have a server which requires stability... I use Debian for that...

I was trying to write my update.  LOL

I couldn't get it installed.  There are things in the wiki that I simply don't know how to do.  I know you showed us those things in your arch video but they didn't stick in my head.  I tried to do some research but that didn't help me either.  At this point I have not decided what I'm going to do next.  I might try again, or I might not.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »
Follow the tutorial video... take notes... READ THE WIKI... try again... Persistence is KEY!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 11:23:21 PM »
Follow the tutorial video... take notes... READ THE WIKI... try again... Persistence is KEY!

I'm currently doing a test install into virtualbox.  I'm doing it this way so that I can watch your video and work along with you.  I'm also taking notes.  The first thing I got hung up on was fdisk.  Arch wiki told me to use fdisk.  cfdisk works way better for the way my brain works!

Post Merge: April 01, 2019, 01:56:14 AM

I got Arch linux working in a virtual machine but the guest additions aren't working.  For some reason my virtual box is always picky about who it allows the guest additions to work and who it doesn't.  I thought we installed the guest additions with this line:  sudo pacman -S xf86-video-vesa xorg xorg-server xorg-apps xfce4 xfce4-goodies  But I could be wrong.

MAYBE how to install them is here but I don't have time NOW to read all of that.  It's 2:00 in the morning I need to get to bed.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:06:35 AM by gregorylock »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 07:27:14 AM »
You install guest additions with pacman! NOT the guest additions ISO!
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-dkmslog out then back in... your virtualbox desktop will scale to your native screen resolution.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
You install guest additions with pacman! NOT the guest additions ISO!
Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-dkms
log out then back in... your virtualbox desktop will scale to your native screen resolution.

I will give that a try.

My next Arch goal is to try installing it onto real hardware.  I still have no plans to continue running Arch.  Many times I've tried reading the Arch Wiki, and I have problems understanding it (Causes Me Confusion).  If it wasn't for your tutorial I don't think I could get it installed at all.  I did what you said and took notes on your tutorial.  After I get done posting this, I'm going to add those notes to my backup of Linux notes, just in case someday, I change my mind.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:23:53 AM by gregorylock »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
I hate to say this but if you are not going to use the Arch installation you place on bare metal, you are not going to retain the knowledge you gained in the install process, part of the learning experience is to acquire new skills and the way you keep those skills is to put them into practice... Repetition, Repetition, Repetition is the best teacher... and another way is to SHARE that knowledge (like I do on YouTube) with others... This is probably why you are getting frustrated... If you are going to take the time to learn something new... TAKE NOTES... do it more than once... persistence is KEY!

Note to self: Sometimes I need to follow my own advice! At least I have video records of most things! I forget stuff from time to time, I am not perfect!