zorin-os 15 beta
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: zorin-os 15 beta  (Read 1001 times)

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
zorin-os 15 beta
« on: March 20, 2019, 01:04:17 PM »
Zorin-os has been posted too distrowatch for those of whom may be interested from what i can see there have been some changes but there is some serious issues with my virtualbox to properly try it.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: zorin-os 15 beta
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:31:42 PM »
For modern Linux distributions, a common problem some people may experience in Virtualbox is that users are not giving enough resources for the guest OS to function... I make this same mistake myself sometimes...
  • Ensure enough ram is assigned
  • allocate more video memory
  • enable 3d acceleration (Guest additions {if included} will use it)
  • select PS/2 mouse
  • install the Virtualbox extension packs for advanced features.
It is not always necessary to assign more than 2 virtual cores to guest operating systems... I have seen some guests work fine with one core... Experimentation is key. Unfortunately, there are limits to the amount of video ram which can be added in VB... hopefully that will change one day =D
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:38:38 PM »
yea i have more then adequate resources for it spat the thing is im pretty sure most of it is this aging hard drive is on its last legs need to pick up a new one lol.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:59:46 PM »
Virtualbox loves it when you put your VM's on SSD! Faster file access and boot times for sure! Even from the OLD days of computing, we used to always say... 'your computer is only gonna be as fast as your hard drive' LOL!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »
yea i found a few reasonably priced thru name brand companies lol.

Offline swarfendor437

• Not f'd:You won't find me on facebook/social media
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »
Hi, as a moderator for Zorin community forum, I sorted an issue out of no sound on Core (final) - user was using 5.22 of vbox with extension pack - problem resolved when installed latest version of 6.x.x.
Also, I have just completed the unofficial manual for Zorin 15 Core (yes, warts and all!) - hence E. & O.E. on cover!)
pdf: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZN2bskZmMDfqoi7IrkmwqA7m0NRTFTogjo7
odt: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZUacskZqjpt8drFwQ4cpbktaz1H3uVHQyoy

Post Merge: February 21, 2020, 05:41:16 PM
Just letting people know I have recently had major run-ins with box.com - they 'claim' that box is not Linux ready yet I was able to login and download stuff whilst in Zorin 15 - they also 'claimed' it was not Firefox compatible either - which is what i used to upload the guides to ... in Linux! Got some great advice to use pCloud - hence the link change. ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:41:16 PM by swarfendor437 »