Fell in Love...With Fedora 29 - Happy Rant Post!
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Fell in Love...With Fedora 29 - Happy Rant Post!  (Read 807 times)

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
Fell in Love...With Fedora 29 - Happy Rant Post!
« on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:09 AM »
Hello All

So here comes a happy rant post, ive been on leave from work for a week and have been tidying up my tech organising cables and so forth, id been running arch for about 6-8 months with xfce and began to crave a distrohop.

Since im studying linux (RHCSA and RHCE) i thought hmm ill go with something in the red hat space, centos not really geared enough for a workstation in my opinion i did run red hat workstation and spent a night removing gnome and installing and configuring xfce to my liking.

But somehow it just didn't feel it fit me, so i figured why not turn back to fedora which although ive tried a few versions 26/27/28 in a vm i never really gave it a chance as my main OS, To be honest im blown away by it.

The polish that it seems to convey is just fantastic, packages all of high quality and gnome has definitely grown on me because its just out of the way, i didn't install to many extensions either 1 to keep the right top corner icons aligned and docker integration.

A tiny bit of theming to give it some extra blue polish and away i go, gnome is buttery smooth with the nvidia drivers (quadro m2000m), but was also beautiful with the nouveau drivers and wayland, so much so that i actually forgot i hadn't installed the proprietary drivers yet (need them for video editing) 

I could rant happily more but i think ill leave it with one last point that i really liked...

Appimages now create shortcuts that integrate beautifully with gnome and match system themes :)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: Fell in Love...With Fedora 29 - Happy Rant Post!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:43:19 AM »
I've been using Fedora for 7 months now, and I have no plans on switching to anything else any time soon. Which is rare for me, I usually can't stick with something for more than 3 months and I typically always go back to Ubuntu, but not this time. Fedora is just too good for me to switch to anything else.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage