Necro Post
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Necro Post  (Read 3150 times)

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
Necro Post
« on: February 28, 2019, 10:11:13 AM »
I've seen this term, and I've noticed replies to your own post here are merged and then do not trigger as a 'recent' thread. I suppose there is a preference to fresh threads, but then a long development would be fragmented into a zillion post. I'd think a how-to thread would benefit from on-going edits, but then the context of comments and additions gets confused? I have seen on other boards where the first post is updated, also Re: post where the OP is MIA and deleted, and some forums where a single poster did all 12 post with no merging...I guess management choices bite you one way or another.

Anyway, I dug up my old TV hardware post and added a teaser merge, maybe some googlers will find it, have something to add or ask, join, contribute, donate.....

With time, I'd like to see, contribute, or write a new post for the cli section = How to ask your computer for the answers and throw away google (and all other search engines).

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Necro Post
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:08:27 PM »
When you edit your old post it shows up as NEW with the icon only and does not appear as a newly created post. There is no board setting to change this behavior. If you want it to show as a brand new post entirely, you can just create a new thread and then link it to the old one... that is acceptable if the original post is at least a month old.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!