Kodi (Formerly XBMC)
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: Kodi (Formerly XBMC)  (Read 86 times)

Online Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Kodi (Formerly XBMC)
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »
Matthew Moore (MrGizmo757) suggested that I take a look at Kodi.

Suffice it to say I am pleasantly surprised. For the longest time I was streaming media from my web browser. This is fine if you are only looking to stream media from one source like Youtube or Hulu. With some plugins, Kodi lets you stream from multiple sources and lets you choose where you want the media to stream from. For local media, I prefer using Thunar because of the awkward file naming conventions I have chosen. Kodi will not display nor properly thumbnail all media on my hard disk so I will use it only for streaming. Anyway, I thought I would give it a quick mention. Try it out... you might just like it =D
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline RTheren

Re: Kodi (Formerly XBMC)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »
I know about Kodi, and I use it for a long time.
Since I moved to new place, I've setup my Home Media Server to have clients use Kodi (tablet, Raspberry Pi connected to TV, phone...) and server to use Emby for library management and whatnot.

I can't imagine not using it, especially now.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 08:25:31 PM »
I was using Kodi a while back because it was the only software I could find to stream from my main PC to my tablet and phone without serious hassles setting it up... compared to Plex, setting up Kodi is simple and you don't need to move your local files to special Plex folders... Kodi can find stuff anywhere on your system, and stream it to any device that's connected.

(plus the plug-ins that allow you to watch all sorts of free streaming media...)
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Kodi (Formerly XBMC)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 01:17:07 PM »
I haven't used Kodi or its precursor before, going to have to check into it. Sounds nice having everything centralized. Been using the Spotify app and Pithos for Pandora. Never usually stream more than one thing, so that isn't a problem for me.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login