[SOLVED] okular in cinnamon desktop cannot open EPUB nor mobi files
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] okular in cinnamon desktop cannot open EPUB nor mobi files  (Read 67 times)

Offline alvinh

I have been using okular with ubuntu. Manjaro cinnamon, however, does not come with okular, it needs to be separately installed. No problem! The thing is, if you install okular like this (CLI)
sudo pacman -S okular
You would probably get an "unable to open" error if you tried to open an EPUB or mobi file. This is what I did
1. Remove the remaining okular bits as described here
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I used these commands;
sudo pacman -Rn
sudo pacman -Scc
2. open pamac (add remove software) & search for okular
3. select everything; when u select 1, all will be selected

4. Click on apply
5. You will be asked what "additional stuff" you want. By default NOTHING is selected, which is why if you install okular using CLI, EPUB & mobi cannot be opened. So go ahead & select EVERYTHING!

6. Click on Choose.
7. You will be asked some questions regarding dependencies, I just selected the default & miraculously, it worked! I was about to open pdf, epub & mobi.
In Ubuntu, you will be simply asked to install
okular-extra-backends
as described here
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope 1 of you guys out there can recommend a manjaro CLI method. I'm a real newbie to Manjaro & I'd really appreciate any "new stuff" you can share with me. Thanks!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: [SOLVED] okular in cinnamon desktop cannot open EPUB nor mobi files
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
Personally my reader of choice is evince. There are plenty of options available for reading your electronic documents though... Now, I could be wrong here but I do believe that Okular comes standard on KDE and therefore would not be a default option on Cinnamon. It is great that you found a solve for your issue with the software and shared the solution. Thanks.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline alvinh

Re: [SOLVED] okular in cinnamon desktop cannot open EPUB nor mobi files
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 12:33:00 AM »
You're absolutely right, Spat, okular comes with KDE which can open epub & mobi files. I guess it's bec okular, like KDE is a QT development, whereas cinnamon is a GTK.
Thanks v much for all the encouragement, couldn't have done it w/o you!