my mom onto linux, suggestions
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: my mom onto linux, suggestions  (Read 281 times)

Offline ben (gentoo/linux) fitzpatrick

• mCOLe Maintainer & Dirty Helga's Apprentice
  • Staff Member
  • Mr. Arch Linux
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:08:21 AM »
hey all,q

so my mom, kirsti, is wanting to try out Linux, she's been using windows 7 and doesn't Malware (windows) 10 she's tried it and HATES the OS almost as much as i do if not equally. So she agrees that it's time to go to Linux as i am doing, so i wanna give her something SO easy she won't even think about Windows 7 anymore. So my idea was, give her mCOLe, my own manjaro remix, a xubuntu remix, or a ubuntu MATE remix. I don't know what one to pick, any ideas/suggestions guys?

Remember, this is for my MOM. all she does is use facebook and email at most and slight online banking. Thanks,
Ben.
Mr. mCOLe maintainer!
the Arch man

Offline at54tl

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
  • "Don't let any computer control You, use Linux"
Re: my mom onto linux, suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »
I would like to recommend Linux Lite. In my experiences, I've done simple desktops installs for senior citizens and they were quite happy with it. I put a few frequently used programs on the desktop and some card games.  There's my two cents on it. 
-Luis

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would like to recommend Linux Lite. In my experiences, I've done simple desktops installs for senior citizens and they were quite happy with it. I put a few frequently used programs on the desktop and some card games.  There's my two cents on it.

I second this. Linux Mint XFCE, Xubuntu, SolydX, or just pure Debian with XFCE or KDE using the list kicker menu over the default. All good stable choices. Not that Manjaro or mCOLe isn't a good choice, but she may run into issues later on as with the nature of anything Arch/Arch-based. I'd say get her on something with minimal risk.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
mostly agree with the majority on this... go with something easy.

I would throw my own two cents behind an XFCE edition as I find stock XFCE to be about the most Win7 like of all the desktops (assuming one sets it up that way)

Some of the other DEs might be "easier" in the long run, but if you want "familiarity" doing a stock XFCE and setting this up to be as much like win 7 as you can, will lend to an easier transition period...
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »
My 74 year old Mum is using Manjaro. She does EVERYTHING in Chromium. Enough said... LOL
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline ben (gentoo/linux) fitzpatrick

• mCOLe Maintainer & Dirty Helga's Apprentice
  • Staff Member
  • Mr. Arch Linux
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
thanks for all the marvelous ideas and etc. and i settled on giving her Mint 19.1 XFCE. I'm setting her up with it as we speak. :)
the Arch man

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 01:11:50 PM »
BEN... You're FIRED! I wanted you to give Mum Manjaro! LOL!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
Spatry, You're FIRED for suggesting Manjaro! Ugh! The NERVE of some people... It is a good thing I am immune to chutzpah otherwise this place would be falling apart by now...

Ben, sweety... I think you should give your mum Gentoo since we all know how you can build that in your sleep... Do what your Auntie Helga tells you... OR ELSE!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline RTheren

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »
I switched my family to Linux Mint (with Cinnamon DE).
Definitively try that first

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:47:04 PM »
I think you all know what I'd recommend, LOL!!! Both my mom and grandma are on plain Ubuntu 18.04, but I'm going to be switching them over to Fedora 29 soon as Ubuntu is having some weird issue with web browsers misbehaving. Both distros use GNOME 3 and that seems easy enough, even for someone with dementia.

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »
hey all,q

so my mom, kirsti, is wanting to try out Linux, she's been using windows 7 and doesn't Malware (windows) 10 she's tried it and HATES the OS almost as much as i do if not equally. So she agrees that it's time to go to Linux as i am doing, so i wanna give her something SO easy she won't even think about Windows 7 anymore. So my idea was, give her mCOLe, my own manjaro remix, a xubuntu remix, or a ubuntu MATE remix. I don't know what one to pick, any ideas/suggestions guys?

Remember, this is for my MOM. all she does is use facebook and email at most and slight online banking. Thanks,
Ben.
Mr. mCOLe maintainer!

Linux Lite, Xubuntu, or Ubuntu MATE might be the best options. Manjaro isn't a particularly good distro for beginners and is more of an intermediate distro due to instability problems as well as other things.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »
I think a 2019 Favorite distributions for beginners video should be done one of these days. And I think I will THEME it by distribution type rather than having a countdown to the BEST....

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
I think a 2019 Favorite distributions for beginners video should be done one of these days. And I think I will THEME it by distribution type rather than having a countdown to the BEST....

That sounds like an excellent idea. I think I will love seeing that whenever it comes out.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »
I'll throw in my two cents here. Linux Mint 19.1 is FAR AND AWAY the best and most complete Linux distribution I've used in a long time. Cinnamon no longer feels like the bloated and choppy mess that it used to be. When I first booted it up, I immediately thought of the Budgie implementation from Solus. It's smooth, it's quick, and it's pretty. AND, as an added bonus, it's pretty Windows-y too, so it's good for those coming from Windows. I wish I didn't have such an attachment to GNOME and the way System76 customizes it, but I do. If I didn't however, I'd definitely be running Mint 19.1 still. Honestly, if I weren't so lazy, I probably would have just installed GNOME on Mint.
Do the right thing. Use Linux.