Why are all the linux browsers so bad (that i have used)
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: Why are all the linux browsers so bad (that i have used)  (Read 170 times)

Offline james5654

Why are all the linux browsers so bad (that i have used)
« on: December 28, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
Hi everyone, Its been  a while since i was back here. Well i was wondering, why all the browsers on linux i have used have performed so bad in comparison to windows browsers. I hear that windows has better browser support. I always get screen tearing in firefox, Chrome is a google spy so that off my list, opera was pretty good but still not as good as it is on windows (my primary browser on windows) and Vivaldi was decent but still slight tearing, anyone know why all the browsers are like this ?  ive disabled hardware acceleration and smart scroll too didnt help. 

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
Re: Why are all the linux browsers so bad (that i have used)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
I'm willing to bet you have NVidia graphics.I know exactly what you're talking about and you shouldn't have to turn off hardware acceleration. My word of advice would be to try the proprietary NVidia drivers as the open source one, in my experience, isn't all that good.

It's also worth mentioning that I've had trouble with Xorg since I've began using Linux, and ever since I began using Wayland as my display server, ALL of the screen tearing has gone away and I have a VERY smooth Linux experience.

So to sum, try the proprietary driver from NVidia (if that's what you have), and try Wayland.

*NOTE: The best Wayland, and overall Linux experience I've had is on Fedora 29 GNOME and I use it on EVERYTHING.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 10:07:01 PM »
I only get tearing when watching VIDEO in the browser using discreet graphics... I have 2 options

1. Download the video and watch with MPV
   2. Open Nvidia-Settings and enable "Force composition pipeline" in the XServer Display Configuration.

On my machine it must be set each time I log into a new session, I tried to set it up to work automatically and it misbehaved... I only get tearing when watching video in the browser so it does not bother me to have to set this because I do not always get tearing...
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline james5654

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »

I apologize for not including my hardware ahaha. I should have thats the most important thing to do on any fourm but anyway i do NOT have nvidia. my hardware:

1 8 gb ddr3 ram stick
amd radeon r9 380 asus strix model
amd fx 6300 6 core processor unlocked
gigabyte 970a-ud3p
500 watt evga Power supply

I just can never get any browsers to work right but I will try fedora 29 plus gnome. I will install it tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it worked out. I am surprised by that combo as everyone has hated on gnome lately.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Re: Re: Why are all the linux browsers so bad (that i have used)
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:08:08 PM »
I apologize for not including my hardware ahaha. I should have thats the most important thing to do on any fourm but anyway i do NOT have nvidia. my hardware:

1 8 gb ddr3 ram stick
amd radeon r9 380 asus strix model
amd fx 6300 6 core processor unlocked
gigabyte 970a-ud3p
500 watt evga Power supply

I just can never get any browsers to work right but I will try fedora 29 plus gnome. I will install it tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it worked out. I am surprised by that combo as everyone has hated on gnome lately.

if you are using AMD/ATI Raedeon graphics, be sure to use the free version drivers, and not the non-free. The free ones actually work better.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Why are all the linux browsers so bad (that i have used)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 11:28:55 PM »
if you are using AMD/ATI Raedeon graphics, be sure to use the free version drivers, and not the non-free. The free ones actually work better.

I agree. Have a RX560 in my Legion and there is a huge performance gap between the proprietary and free drivers. Noticed the free drivers have gotten a lot better.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »

I don't understand why that is either. I can sympathize with those that have used GNOME 2 for years and grew accustomed to a certain way, to each their own because such is the way of Linux, but to constantly ridicule it I think is unfair. Either way, I absolutely love GNOME 3's simplicity and minimalist layout, I've never had stability problems with it, it's beautiful, modern, and intuitive. Everything feels natural and in the right place. I think maybe it's just that it's SO different than traditional desktops that it sort of irks people the wrong way. Some great desktop environments are based on GNOME, like Cinnamon and Mate. I think elemental's Pantheon DE got it's roots from GNOME, I may be wrong.

Oh, and GNOME allows the installation of extensions to it's shell as well. My absolute must haves are:

And these extensions can be installed in two ways:
The best way is to install the browser extension and install them directly through the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login website. The other is through GNOME's built in Software Center.

The best way to manage GNOME extensions is to use GNOME Tweaks, typically found directly in your distro of choice's App Store, or GNOME's built in Software Center.

Offline james5654

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »
WOW. I AM IMPRESSED.
FEDORA 29 AND GNOME WAS ALMOST FLAWLESS. WORKED 99% AS WELL AS WIN 10.
I got no tearing at all, just very light stuttering that was hardly noticeable. This was tested from a live image on a SD card too so i can guess when its fully installed to my hard disk it will be even better, I cant believe the difference. I also tried it on my manjaro installation i currently have and it still worked really well on that too. With XFCE it was tearing terribly and same with KDE. now with gnome + wayland it was actually usable. I would give it a 7.5/10 on Manjaro and for now a 9/10 on fedora. But i will need to install it first and then it will probably be a 10. but very impressed i am.

also I usually prefer debian on systems that dont have tearing problems as I am crazy and paranoid ahaha. But from people who use Fedora frequently is it safe? (as in no telemetry and stuff like windows)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:52:36 PM by james5654 »

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 04:53:19 PM »
WOW. I AM IMPRESSED.
FEDORA 29 AND GNOME WAS ALMOST FLAWLESS. WORKED 99% AS WELL AS WIN 10.
I got no tearing at all, just very light stuttering that was hardly noticeable. This was tested from a live image on a SD card too so i can guess when its fully installed to my hard disk it will be even better, I cant believe the difference. I also tried it on my manjaro installation i currently have and it still worked really well on that too. With XFCE it was tearing terribly and same with KDE. now with gnome + wayland it was actually usable. I would give it a 7.5/10 on Manjaro and for now a 9/10 on fedora. But i will need to install it first and then it will probably be a 10. but very impressed i am.

Awesome! I'm glad that helped you out. I've distro-hopped more times than I can count, I almost found, and did for a time, my place with Ubuntu 18.04, but I think they may have gotten a little too overzealous with new features or something because I found that it tends to break after some time. I've been running Fedora 29 for a solid month on my laptop and my work kiosk with zero flaws. Performance keeps up very well, the OS is rock solid, and updates are a pleasure to work with. I'm sold on Fedora.

Also as a side note, I never could quite part with Canonicals Snap store. Fortunately it's easy to install and it integrates into GNOME's software center very well too.

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sudo dnf install snapd

Offline james5654

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 10:55:18 AM »
Well I have tested some more and now i am stuck between fedora and arch. I love both and am having a hard time deciding because I really dont care if my system is bleeding edge (in fact i usually prefer it because things usually dont break much as people say anyways and everything is always up to date) I was going to install Gnome with wayland on debian testing as debian used to be my favourite distro on older hardware that didnt have these tearing problems, but it looked too long and drawn out to install it.  So what do you all think? should I go with Arch (ive installed it before so it wont be intimidating to me) or fedora? I feel like i can use more third party stuff on arch and there are probably more packages available but I dont know much about fedora as an os so thats why im asking. 

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »
My answer would be Fedora, but that's bias for obvious reasons, LOL!

If you already know how to build your own Arch system, you'd probably be better off going that route since most users here use Arch and Arch based systems and can better help you if you need it.

Fedora would be an easier route since everything's already built and ready to go. I myself am using Fedora and others around here are too. Hey, if it works for Linus Torvalds it works for me. And it does!

I would try to avoid Debian since they use older more stable packages. I think even their Testing line is quite a bit behind too. Even though Debian comes with GNOME by default, I feel it's better to put MATE or XFCE on a Debian system. It seems more suiting for the stability king of Linux

Either way, I'm glad your problem got resolved, for the most part. Let us know what you ended up choosing! And share some o' so sweet screenshots too!

Offline james5654

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 05:15:40 PM »
Honestly, I dont like the RAM usage from gnome but , I think I will just use fedora with gnome and see how it goes. I was thinking of just building a new system thats intel based i can be sure of not having any tearing and being well supported with xorg as well. but for this particular machine, fedora with gnome seems good;

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »
Good choice! Oh yeah, plus the Fedora team just did something recently with Intel based systems that eliminates boot flickering. It's a purely aesthetic update, but it's still very nice nonetheless.

GNOME is certainly a RAM hog compared to it's competitors, but it's worth it to me for everything GNOME offers. I'm sure you'll love it over time.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »
XFCE certainly benefits from Gnome and the git builds incorporate GTK3 =D But that has nothing to do with the original thought of this thread, so lets get things back on track.

Linux still does not have a large market share (with the exception of Android) so web browsers do not get as much attention from software developers. Most Android browsers I have tried seem to do their jobs well... I have seen free browsers outperform paid ones on that platform.

We are seeing Gaming pick up on Steam but that has not motivated market share to the Linux platform much. Once Linux becomes relevant on the desktop from a consumer standpoint, we can see better software coming to our platform.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline CwF

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 11:12:06 AM »
For me this is a true irony.
When I boil down my linux use to what is does for me, the pro/con to other systems, the one single program category I trust to its desktop is the browser. And as some of you have read, qemu-kvm.
 So I go through all the learning I've gone through to isolate and duplicate my XP of yesteryear. When I finally reach success there is a single program category I pulled from my XP toolbox, the browser! The only thing I don't let my XP do.
 I don't know anymore what browsers are good and which suck, in my opinion 'browsing' itself sucks. If you're not in the market to buy something, web searches have 10% signal to noise ratio, if you're really specific. Try to include the term smartphobne and exclude apple in a search string! Tell me what search term doesn't kick back IPhones for the first half of the page 1, it gets worse from there. Type a random string of bs, and you get pages of results. Things that appear to be valid results don't include a word you searched with quotes but do include what's after your minus sign. And all the pages out there that take the cpu to max trying to parse MB's of crap...It's way worse than watching commercials on paid cablevision...
 I've already gave up on the smartphones, so browsing on there is irrelevant for me. The masses will continue there though, so I'm choosing to be left out.
 Then I realize my browsing would benefit from VMs' in a big way. So I run things compartmentalized. I will only consider any 'browser' as a fit and honest product when my technique is useless. I think that will never happen.

So I run Firefox 62.x in Debians. Acoording to some "older" ?? Sorry, this is still 52.9, oh my!

I did mention it, webkit. I'm hoping to see a common engine evolve, after all these years. But the way of 'ego' pretty much dictates that before we have a common universal platform on which to build browsing apps streamlined and tailored to both purpose and device, the "wheel" as it were, will be reinvented a dozen more times.

Midori was just reinvented. It has all new wheels underneath. And the feature set is back to an alpha state. I'm hopeful...

In other news; you gamers, movie buffs, music lovers...I suggest you start collecting physical media. One day your browser hook up is going to return the message "that (whatever fancy digital thing) is no longer available". And your subscription will still be charged...