Iso backup
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: Iso backup  (Read 217 times)

Offline joepacino

Iso backup
« on: December 15, 2018, 09:10:50 AM »
Hey guys I'm wondering if it's possible to make a backup iso of my current desktop enviorment. I'm currently running kde neon .I have all the packages I currently need and Im currently going to to be switching to a new rig. I don't care about all things saved in my downloads folder and stuff like that. But I have alot of packages for compiling Android. So is it possible to make a iso of my desktop. Thanks .also for those interested in Android development I'll leave a link below for scripts I use to set up a build enviorment to compile. Thanks
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Iso backup
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »
Welcome to the community. Yes it is possible to achieve what you wish but it can vary in complexity proportionate to the distribution you are using... You might find it easier to backup your /home/username directory and then have a separate list of all software you have installed.

Case study: I have made my own Manjaro based OS (mCOLe) but it is NOT practical for me to make an ISO backup of my desktop considering the rapid development and updates my parent OS undergoes. Therefore... I have a list of all packages and custom builds on a backup drive, Whenever I wish to move my installation to another machine, a copy of my "/home/spatry" directory gets copied to an external drive.... THEN:
  • I install the new Manjaro on the other computer
  • I install the software from my list (add repos (PPA) or in my case AUR packs)
  • after installation completes, I copy backed up /home to the new installation
  • once home is restored, your new installation will have all of your user preferences from the old machine and it will be as though you just moved your OS from one machine to another... the /home directory holds ALL settings for your software... and changes you made to / prior to moving your installation must also be manually moved by you to the new root.
This is probably not the answer you were looking for but this is the methodology which works best for me. I have performed this method on countless occasions and it is far more ideal to do it this way rather than to make an ISO image.... UNLESS... you are considering mass deployment in a work center...

I will be interested to see what others will add to this thread... my morning coffee has not kicked in yet so there is something I may have forgotten to mention.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline joepacino

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »
Ok thanks is it possible to make a iso image though for redistribution I also have friends who would like to try the setup I use

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
I have never built an Ubuntu based distribution (which KDE Neon is based on) and therefore I cannot offer instructions... There are several videos on YouTube which will walk you through the process. I am sure we have a handful of people in the community who have built their own Ubuntu spins so I will give them time to chime in on this one.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!