[SOLVED] Broadcom WiFi not working after install
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Broadcom WiFi not working after install  (Read 115 times)

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
[SOLVED] Broadcom WiFi not working after install
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:14:51 PM »
Hi Team,
I installed the GNOME version of Manjaro as I enjoy this DE but the Broadcom WiFi I have worked fine in the live USB and not after an install. I do not have a convenient way to move the iMac to plug into the router and wondered if there was a way to get the WiFi working without hooking up to the router. Can I get the drivers from the USB installer? I am perplexed and wanted to get some input.
Joe Johnston
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.”
― Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Broadcom WiFi not working after install
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
You can download the appropriate driver using the live media since wifi works that way... You will need to know what kernel is currently installed on your Manjaro Gnome installation.
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
uname -rTells you what kernel you are running. Now... while booted in the live media, open a terminal and run:
pacman -Ss broadcomyou will get a list of the available broadcom packages for the different Manjaro kernels. You can download one of those listed packages by running
sudo pacman -Sw linux419-broadcom-wlthe -Sw switch for pacman only downloads and does not install the package... Your downloaded package will be in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and you can copy it to any convenient location. You can now boot back into your Manjaro Gnome and you can install the package from where you copied the file to with:
sudo pacman -U linux419-broadcom-wlIn my case I chose linux419-broadcom-wl because my kernel is 419 but yours might be 414, so it is always a good idea to check this before downloading...

After installation and a reboot your wifi should be working as expected.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:48 PM »
That worked! Thank you, Spatry. 
What was really weird was that the driver showed installed in Pacman and it required me to remove and reinstall it to get it working but now it is awesome!
I am really enjoying this GNOME edition...Manjaro rocks and is amazing!!!
Joe Johnston
― Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
That is strange indeed... anyway, I am pleased to know you were able to solve the issue, I will mark this thread as solved.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
Re: [SOLVED] Broadcom WiFi not working after install
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 11:30:50 AM »
Thank you, my friend! It is amazing to me how fast the Manjaro releases are!!!! Even this GNOME, flies!!!
Joe Johnston
― Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:59:06 PM »
Arch has always been known for it's speed and Manjaro gets to reap the benefits. Anyone who has built Arch  from the ground up, can have a sense of appreciation for what Manjaro brings to the table. Glad you like the distro =D

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »
Caleb wanted me to let you know he is now using Manjaro KDE on his laptop and LOVING it!!!! Manjaro has something for everyone!
Joe Johnston
― Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
Soon you will have a whole family of happy penguins! Tell Caleb I said hi! Now he just needs to figure out how to setup all of the COOL Kwin effects! HE HE HE

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »
Stay away from KWIN and/or Compiz and any other eye candies! You might just bork your desktop and then Spatry will have another mess for me to clean up! Do your Auntie Helga a favor and switch to the BEST DESKTOP EVER.... the command line! HAH!

On second thought you can easily bork your computer on the command line as well. <sigh> it is your machine... Do what you want with it!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Re: Re: [SOLVED] Broadcom WiFi not working after install
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Stay away from KWIN and/or Compiz and any other eye candies! You might just bork your desktop and then Spatry will have another mess for me to clean up! Do your Auntie Helga a favor and switch to the BEST DESKTOP EVER.... the command line! HAH!

On second thought you can easily bork your computer on the command line as well. <sigh> it is your machine... Do what you want with it!

if anyone needs any help borking Manjaro, I am available 24/7/365!
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 08:58:30 AM »
haha, you all are awesome!! Caleb has been enjoying the KDE version and I am loving the GNOME! I now have the main three versions all on USB for any system that needs it.
Joe Johnston
― Linus Torvalds