Custom Arch Build: Based Off Current Install
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: Custom Arch Build: Based Off Current Install  (Read 74 times)

Offline MrCoe

Custom Arch Build: Based Off Current Install
« on: December 03, 2018, 12:00:13 AM »
Hello All

After a few months of breaking the distro hopping habit and tweaking, i now have arch linux at a point where i think its practically perfect for me id like to make a spin of it so i can share with a calamares installer aswell.

Im reading on archiso currently to get an idea of the nuts and bolts, has anyone done this before and can maybe pre warn me of any "gotchas" or some reading material, ive been attempting to google but the phrasing is tricky to get correct to find what im after.

Kind Regards
Ryan 
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Custom Arch Build: Based Off Current Install
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 01:14:11 AM »
One thing the community could benefit from is an Arch installer which gives you the BASE system with the essentials... X.org, Pulseaudio, codecs, driver stacks and all of the other necessities. The installer could let you decide on which desktop you want and give you the option of a minimal, lean install or the whole shebang... I think most people would prefer a build which does not have a list of software to uninstall.

You can submit your distro to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login assuming it meets the listing requirements when you decide to release it.... Cheers.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »
Ryan, definitely looking forward to your Arch spin. :)

There are some people here that have done this with Manjaro and surely Arch. Hopefully, we'll hear from them soon to make sure the build goes as smoothly as possible.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrCoe

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 12:40:18 AM »
Thanks Kalthrix

It's gonna be a fun pet project, as spatry said most would want a barebones install that has just a base arch install with the absolute essentials, there may be a way to get the best of both worlds buy allowing an option based install such as base or full.

Best start doing my homework :)
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:20:48 AM »
Good Luck Ryan, I will be happy to take a look at your build when it is finished =D
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ