Linux Lite 4.0, 4.2, Linux Mint 19 Psenor Doesn\\\'t work correctly
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: Linux Lite 4.0, 4.2, Linux Mint 19 Psenor Doesn\\\'t work correctly  (Read 117 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
This is not an easy post to write because the only way I think I can give you details is to just show you with a video.  I will try to describe with a picture.

This is on my Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE Install.  As you can see you can pull up the information from the panel.  In Linux Lite 4.0 and 4.2 you can not.

Post Merge: December 01, 2018, 08:38:59 PM
This past summer I brought this issue up with the Linux Lite community and I was told that the problem is with Ubuntu 18.04.  After I found out that I'm having the same issue with Linux Mint 19 XFCE I will need to look into that.

Post Merge: December 01, 2018, 09:48:21 PM
I found this link:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Completely removed Psensor and then retried to install it by following those instructions.  No change in Linux Lite 4.2.   I don't know.   It's kind of a show stopper for me.  Because I've been using that program for several years, and it's been especially helpful with my water cooled system.  I may not ever use Linux Lite or Mint on that system until this application or another application can be found to be used instead.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:48:21 PM by gregorylock »

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Re: Linux Lite 4.0, 4.2, Linux Mint 19 Psenor Doesn\\\'t work correctly
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »
Not sure if this will help, but when I look at the properties for the Psensor plugin under XFCE in Manjaro, it has a dialogue box and on the third tab "Miscellaneous" the last entry is a check box to "Execute on Double Click" and a text box for the name of the program to execute on double clicking the Psensor plugin...

if this is set properly, it should run whatever app you set...
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Tony

• Experiment with Linux
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:48:58 PM »
Additionally to Mr. Fraterchaos answer. Can you give the output of
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
inxi -s # for sensors
Then on xfce desktop, I used to know a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginyou may also give it a try.
The use of computer is only limited to your imagination.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Linux Lite 4.0, 4.2, Linux Mint 19 Psenor Doesn\\\'t work correctly
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 12:02:10 AM »

Then on xfce desktop, I used to know a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginyou may also give it a try.

Yes, that';s the one I was talking about, the xfce4 panel plugin.

I just noticed that when I mouse over it, I get a pop up notification showing the two sensors that I have included on the panel (CPU and MB Temps) I assume if I included more of the sensors, it would show them as well...

which makes me wonder if greogorylock's problem is how he's got pop-up notifications set in Linux Lite, rather than any issue with Psensor...

Gregory, do you get ANY pop up notices on any panel objects in Linux Lite? If not, then perhaps you have that sort of pop up shut off?
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor

Yes, that';s the one I was talking about, the xfce4 panel plugin.

I just noticed that when I mouse over it, I get a pop up notification showing the two sensors that I have included on the panel (CPU and MB Temps) I assume if I included more of the sensors, it would show them as well...

which makes me wonder if greogorylock's problem is how he's got pop-up notifications set in Linux Lite, rather than any issue with Psensor...

Gregory, do you get ANY pop up notices on any panel objects in Linux Lite? If not, then perhaps you have that sort of pop up shut off?

I'm currently writing this from my main system Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE.

I don't know anything about the pop ups being on or off.  Both the Linux Lite 4.2 and Linux Mint 19 XFCE are really new installs.  Linux Lite especially is a fresh install.  This is how these two behave with Psensor out of the box!  I can poke around these two OSes to find out if there is anything "turned off" that should be "turned on".  But I know for a fact that it isn't anything that I turned off by choice.   Historically speaking Psensor has always just worked on all my Linux Mint, Linux Lite and MX Linux installs, until these two new ones came out and now it doesn't.  I was able to install Xubuntu 18.04.1 into a Virtual Machine.  Then I tried installing Psensor and it appears that it will work in Xbuntu 18.04.1 without doing anything "special" to make it work.  Go figure!  I think there is something that Mint and Lite has done to the Xfce Panel that is keeping it from doing it's normal job.

Please keep your suggestions coming.  I'll be looking around at those OSes to find out if there is anything that has been turned off by default. 

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
I am still wondering whether you are getting any pop ups from any other panel objects...

for example, when you place the mouse over your clock, does it pop up a date report? (Or any other panel object that would show some sort of info when doing a mouse over)

For example, I use the XFCE weather plug in, which shows a graphic image of the current conditions (a cloud or sun or a cloud with rain or snow) and a scrolling text of the conditions I set (I have it set to show temperature, wind speed, wind direction and humidity) these are visible at all times... when I mouse over, a large pop up window opens that shows a much more detailed set of data, which then disappears as soon as I move the mouse away.

I'm not saying you "turned off" any pop up notifications, but perhaps the people who made the distro in question changed it's default behavior? Perhaps in the past, they had it set by default to show those pop up "mouse hints" and for whatever reason, they are now setting it by default to not show them... and all you would need to do is turn them on.

Check in the settings for the plug-in:
right click the panel where the psensor plug in is located and choose properties,
go to the "Miscellaneous" tab

be sure "Suppress tooltip" is NOT checked.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
I am still wondering whether you are getting any pop ups from any other panel objects...

for example, when you place the mouse over your clock, does it pop up a date report? (Or any other panel object that would show some sort of info when doing a mouse over)

For example, I use the XFCE weather plug in, which shows a graphic image of the current conditions (a cloud or sun or a cloud with rain or snow) and a scrolling text of the conditions I set (I have it set to show temperature, wind speed, wind direction and humidity) these are visible at all times... when I mouse over, a large pop up window opens that shows a much more detailed set of data, which then disappears as soon as I move the mouse away.

Yes all that stuff works out of the box.

I'm not saying you "turned off" any pop up notifications, but perhaps the people who made the distro in question changed it's default behavior? Perhaps in the past, they had it set by default to show those pop up "mouse hints" and for whatever reason, they are now setting it by default to not show them... and all you would need to do is turn them on.

Check in the settings for the plug-in:
right click the panel where the psensor plug in is located and choose properties,
go to the "Miscellaneous" tab

be sure "Suppress tooltip" is NOT checked.

I can look into these things.  It will take me a little while to boot into it and then I can report back.  I want to install xbuntu 18.04.1 onto a usb drive so that I can have it on real hardware.  I think Psensor is going to work on it.  That might give use a clue as to what is different about Linux Lite 4.2 and Linux Mint 19.  I started making some more screen shots to show too.

Thank you for your continued help and support!

Post Merge: December 02, 2018, 06:57:12 PM
@fraterchaos
I think the "mouse hints" are working.  When I hover the mouse over the icons on the panel it tells me what the Icon is.

Your supposed to right click on the Psensor and then you get the information.  If you want more information, you would cick on "Show".

Post Merge: December 02, 2018, 08:48:05 PM
XUBUNTU 18.04.1 RUNNING PSENSOR.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:48:05 PM by gregorylock »

Offline Tony

• Experiment with Linux
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:37:07 PM »
Alright! After spending some time on researching the topic i found a post at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login it is also describing the same issue. No sure if you have already looked at the post or not.

One thing more what if it is an application specific problem, can you check for the versions of Psensor for both Linux Lite and Xubuntu. Now sure if they will be a difference or not but you can also try to install the Psensor from XUBUNTU to Linux Lite if the version seems to differ and check if it works or not. Also re-check all configs related to Psensor.

Hope it will help.
The use of computer is only limited to your imagination.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »
"Your supposed to right click on the Psensor and then you get the information.  If you want more information, you would cick on "Show".

(forgive me for not using the forum quote feature... but I only wanted to quote that one line...)

That's different in Manjaro XFCE. On my system, if I mouse over the icon I see a basic report of only those sensors which I have enabled to show in the panel... if I want more I have to double click. (Right click gives a menu to change the properties, move or remove the icon, or edit the whole panel)

So, obviously XFCE is set up a bit differently in Manjaro than it is in Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros...or perhaps we're using a different version?

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Alright! After spending some time on researching the topic i found a post at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login it is also describing the same issue. No sure if you have already looked at the post or not.

I was the one that created that thread.  I got too busy back then to continue working on it.

One thing more what if it is an application specific problem, can you check for the versions of Psensor for both Linux Lite and Xubuntu. Now sure if they will be a difference or not but you can also try to install the Psensor from XUBUNTU to Linux Lite if the version seems to differ and check if it works or not. Also re-check all configs related to Psensor.

I'll look into that stuff and report back.

"Your supposed to right click on the Psensor and then you get the information.  If you want more information, you would cick on "Show".

(forgive me for not using the forum quote feature... but I only wanted to quote that one line...)

That's different in Manjaro XFCE. On my system, if I mouse over the icon I see a basic report of only those sensors which I have enabled to show in the panel... if I want more I have to double click. (Right click gives a menu to change the properties, move or remove the icon, or edit the whole panel)

So, obviously XFCE is set up a bit differently in Manjaro than it is in Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros...or perhaps we're using a different version?

I have a Manjaro Install on a USB drive.  I can try installing Psensor on it and see what happens.

Post Merge: December 09, 2018, 01:42:57 AM

I tried Psensor on Manjaro and it doesn't work.  So far the only distro it works on for me is Xubuntu 18.04

Here are the versions!

Manjaro XFCE Version 4.12
Psensor Version 1.2.0

Xubuntu XFCE Version 4.12
Psensor Version 1.1.5

Linux Mint 19 Xfce Version 4.12
Psensor Version 1.1.5

Linux Lite 4.2 Xfce Version 4.12
Psensor Version 1.1.5

I just tried to file a bug report on launchpad.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:44:10 AM by gregorylock »