A dash of controversy?
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: A dash of controversy?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
A dash of controversy?
« on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:35 PM »
What if I were to add something like this to the FAQ!?

I have not heard you mention GNU or GNU/Linux in any of the videos. WHY?
The gnu project does nothing to financially compensate people for promoting their project and therefore we do not feel obligated to give them credit they do not rightfully deserve. HERE HERE is a clear explanation why we will not endorse nor use the "gnu/linux" terminology. While we are on the subject of FREEDOM, the editor exercises his right to pronounce the word "gnu" the proper way as described in the Cambridge dictionary. 
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
Re: A dash of controversy?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:25 PM »
You RAT PHINK! If you post that, you will make everyone think I wrote the FAQ! I have to admit, that Question and Answer tickled my funny bone with a chainsaw! Go ahead and post that SMUT on DistroHunt and lets see how many NEW enemies you make overnight! I am sure Deckard Cain will be the first to send you swimming in a pool of your own blood! HAH!

Anyone else have thoughts on this? 
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:35:14 PM »
I think this would be a good thing to add to the FAQ because it helps clarify to new users what Linux is and how the basic fundamentals of it work. As far as GNU goes, I think maybe Richard Stallman called it what he did either because he is ignorant about English word pronunciations or deliberately wanted to distinguish it from sounding like it's brand new, as "new Linux" might confuse a lot of people.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline donald3.heckel

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »
This appears to be a very good post to include and append to the FAQ. It seems to be good exactly the way it is.

Offline MrGizmo757

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »
I have always been of the opinion that the developer of the software gets to name it. Linus Torvalds himself also shares that opinion. He stated his position on this in one of his online interviews. He said "if you build it, you get to name it".  So in my mind, Ubuntu is Ubuntu, Arch is Arch, Manjaro is Manjaro, and so on. The developers of these projects can identify it however they wish. If they want to call it a GNU/Linux system, then fine, and if not, that's fine too. I don't think of Ubuntu as GNU/Linux, or even Linux. To me, it's just Ubuntu. So i really don't care what you call it. The fact that there is so much debate and drama over how to classify a particular set of software is really petty in my opinion. I also think it's a testament in how far we have come in the Lin... GNU/Linux  :o community. If this is really the biggest issue we have to argue about, then we're doing just fine. :)  I frankly could care less what you call it. Just contribute and be part of it. What's in a name really? We all know what we're using. We don't need a bunch of toe-jam eating nerds reminding us every ten mins. :P

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
Re: Re: A dash of controversy?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »
I have always been of the opinion that the developer of the software gets to name it. Linus Torvalds himself also shares that opinion. He stated his position on this in one of his online interviews. He said "if you build it, you get to name it".  So in my mind, Ubuntu is Ubuntu, Arch is Arch, Manjaro is Manjaro, and so on. The developers of these projects can identify it however they wish. If they want to call it a GNU/Linux system, then fine, and if not, that's fine too. I don't think of Ubuntu as GNU/Linux, or even Linux. To me, it's just Ubuntu. So i really don't care what you call it. The fact that there is so much debate and drama over how to classify a particular set of software is really petty in my opinion. I also think it's a testament in how far we have come in the Lin... GNU/Linux  :o community. If this is really the biggest issue we have to argue about, then we're doing just fine. :)  I frankly could care less what you call it. Just contribute and be part of it. What's in a name really? We all know what we're using. We don't need a bunch of toe-jam eating nerds reminding us every ten mins. :P

you can't prove any of them actually eat toe-jam...

Offline MrGizmo757

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Contributor
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
Re: Re: Re: A dash of controversy?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 10:39:43 PM »
you can't prove any of them actually eat toe-jam...

Yes I can. It's on video. :)  

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 10:49:38 PM »
you just had to make me watch that didn't you?

and while I'm eating chocolate ice cream at that... you're just plain mean!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 08:59:44 AM »
Ew... that's nasty. Especially, doing something like that while you are in the public spotlight. Might as well have been digging for gold too. Looks like he was pretty close to doing both. :o

Offline glsmaxx

• Old Dog Learnin' New Tricks
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »
Kind of hard to take anything serious from someone like that.
Running Manjaro-XFCE  &  Arch-XFCE
           Are There Any Others?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
BACK ON TRACK--- I am interested in knowing about the first post... Should it be included in the DistroHunt FAQ? Should it be re-worded, and if SO, how would you re-word it???

Hmmm Maybe this could work:
There are many projects who support libre software through their contributions and some of those projects arguably deserve as much recognition as (if not more than) Gnu. Because DistroHunt holds a neutral stance in these controversial matters, we have elected to only use the term "Linux" when referring to ANY operating system which uses the Linux kernel.

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
Re: Re: A dash of controversy?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
BACK ON TRACK--- I am interested in knowing about the first post... Should it be included in the DistroHunt FAQ? Should it be re-worded, and if SO, how would you re-word it???

Hmmm Maybe this could work:

that sounds about right, but for clarity's sake I would say:

There are many projects who support libre software through their contributions and some of those projects arguably deserve as much  *mention*  as (if not more than) Gnu.

as it is slightly unclear as to WHAT it is they deserve... alternatively, you could use "recognition" instead of "mention"... whichever sounds best to you

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »
I liked the original post but I suppose the modification will suffice. A thought occurred to me that most foundations must pay for their advertising and maybe the time has come for the FSF to ante up! Send them a bill for $25 USD for EACH TIME you say Gnu/Linux in your videos. HAH!
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
Thanks chaos... I forgot to add "recognition" in the draft... thanks for pointing that out... I am pleased with the new wording so it has been added to the FAQ. I will keep the original post the way it is so our members might get a good chuckle.... I see that Helga is on a mean streak this week... Everyone be sure to give her the proper bung kissing she rightfully deserves!
I have not heard you mention Gnu or Gnu/Linux in any of the videos. WHY?

There are many projects who support free libre software through their contributions and some of those projects arguably deserve as much recognition as (if not more than) Gnu. DistroHunt wishes to remain neutral in these controversial matters. Therefore, we have elected to only use the term “Linux” when referring to ANY operating system which uses Linus Torvald’s kernel.