Lets SQUASH some BUGS!
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Lets SQUASH some BUGS!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Lets SQUASH some BUGS!
« on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
I have completed the new look of DistroHunt and the new framework is ready to get new content... Please read through the pages... look for spelling or grammar errors.... FIND BUGS with the site and REPORT THEM in this section...

Known issue: Some thumbnails are clipped when viewed in search or featured listings. This is how the theme lays out the images. Text beneath the thumbnail is fully readable so this should not be much of a problem for most people... I am unable to fix the layout for better scaling of thumbnails presently.

What can be done to make this site BETTER? Post some feature requests and I will see if it is doable...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
Re: Lets SQUASH some BUGS!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:11:06 PM »
15 new videos for DistroHunt and 2 additions on Cup of Linux TODAY... I should crack the whip harder to see if I can get you to boost production! HAH!
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
Registrations will be open to the public once this introductory list has been completed:
Code: [Select]
Zorin    Arch     CentOS
Kali     Antergos     antiX
Lubuntu     Ubuntu Kylin     PCLinuxOS
FreeBSD     Peppermint     Arco
SmartOS     Endless     TrueOS
Puppy     Ubuntu MATE     Slackware
Bodhi     Parrot     Tails
Xubuntu     Archman     Q4OS
Mageia     Bluestar     Kubuntu
Nitrux     ArchLabs     4MLinux
Android-x86     Gentoo     Ultimate
Alpine     LXLE     Neptune
GhostBSD     Omarine     Voyager
Netrunner     Robolinux     Ubuntu Budgie
ClearOS     Gecko     Emmabuntüs
Kodachi     NixOS     Slax
DragonFly     ExTiX     OpenBSD
Ubuntu Studio     Clonezilla     Haiku
Scientific     BlackArch     Redcore
NuTyX     Qubes     AUSTRUMI
BackBox     Container     ArchBang
BunsenLabs     Sabayon     SteamOS
Void     ROSA     Tiny Core
Oracle     Parabola     Vector
Trisquel     AV Linux     Elive
SolydXK     Artix      Raspbian

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:06:26 PM »
In my position as resident English Major (associates degree) I did a quick read over of all the text, didn't see any glaring errors.

figured I'd mention that

Offline joao

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »
I like the site, I have two things so I will post two posts.
The site has broken HTTPS credentials because the header image is in http not https, see image. It is probably left over from when it was being developed. Fix, this and you should have the green SSL lock icon.

Looks like you are using WordPress, just delete the image from the page and add it again, it should recognize SSL.

Post Merge: December 07, 2018, 11:22:58 PM
Perhaps consider moving the site to a subdomain. Currently you have the site at www.cupoflinux.com/distrohunt but it is better practice to have separate sites under different domains.
The standard practice would be to have https://distrohunt.cupoflinux.com, this is will help with search engine optimization considerably because the web crawlers does not see it as two separate sites right now.
What hosting company are you using, does it use cPanel? 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 11:45:45 AM »
Welcome to the community and thanks for the suggestions, joao. This is the type of feedback I was looking for...

I fixed the problems with the SSL but the subdomain (distrohunt.cupoflinux.com) refuses to behave properly... I set that subdomain up 4 years ago and it works GREAT as long as there is NO SSL! Adding SSL to this site has been my biggest grievance and I am mad enough to throw in the towel and REMOVE IT entirely. 

Since cupoflinux is very well indexed with the search engines, I am not too concerned with distrohunt.org pointing to a subdirectory instead of a subdomain which spits out warnings and errors. At this time I cannot afford another monthly bill to have it on it's own server. As it is, this community is barely self supporting so for now we must work with what we have...

Offline joao

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
Thank you for the welcome Spatry,

Are you using cPanel for Web Server administration?

Post Merge: December 09, 2018, 12:14:43 AM
OK, it looks like you are using cpanel.. Login to cPanel, go to Domains, yoru subdomain should be listed there. Note the "Document Root" location for your subdomain. The go back to main menu and go to Subdomains and note the locations, they should be the same and there should be no redirections.
Let me know what you find, but don't change anything!

Joao
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:14:43 AM by joao »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 05:45:33 AM »
as stated I created the subdomain distrohunt.cupoflinux.com... if you try it without https it points to the distrohunt subdirectory... if you use https you will either get an error about security or you will get a blank landing page.... For now I will keep things as they are until I can afford a new host for distrohunt.