What are your tips for modernising XFCE?
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: What are your tips for modernising XFCE?  (Read 197 times)

Offline MrCoe

What are your tips for modernising XFCE?
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:56:40 PM »
Hello All

I'm looking to do a video for my channel on modernising xfce, i plan to give a shout out to this awesome community aswell so i thought i might ask for some opinions/views to enhance it, so here are the questions:

1. What theme/theme group is the most modern ?

2. What compositor is your preference ?

3. What icon set is your choice ?

4. What is your desktop layout for xfce ?

5. Do you design your own wallpapers for your desktop ?

Kind Regards

Ryan
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline Tony

• Experiment with Linux
Re: What are your tips for modernising XFCE?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 01:03:47 AM »
Nice to hear that!
I am using xfce for years and i realise that what makes it so powerful is its simplicity, unlike other lightweight desktop environments like LXDE you don't need to dig deeper to find things. Other than that its development cycle is slow which makes it a stable and rock-solid desktop environment.
On your questions:
Everyone have their own preferences about their desktop some like to keep it as simple as possible and some like to keep it loaded with a lot of widgets/indicators or enhance it via a window manager like compiz, kwin, openbox, etc. The xfce is the most configrable desktop i had ever seen.
1. You can try out any theme that looks good to your eyes. I prefer to use dark theme right now Adapta-Maia.
2. I like to keep it simple, so xfwm4 is my preference.
3. I prefer to use Papirus-Maia, Paper-Maia and Vertex-Maia. Sometimes my own mEWLe-crux and mCOLe-material-unite(varients of paper-icon theme only)
4. I like to stick with Manjaro's  layout it is awesome, the only adjustment i made to the basic layout is moving the panel to top.
5. I like to use a combination of the Manjaro wallpapers and my own tailor-made wallpapers.

I recommend to just have a look at the video created by Spatry sir for getting some inspiration.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The use of computer is only limited to your imagination.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:57:14 AM »
you want mine its on the site lol i have several pics in the screenshot portion here and i did a mods review here too about voyager my backgrounds are usually ones i find on the interwebs. some of the pics where kde but most where xfce.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:11:42 AM »
Ryan, Manjaro is offering the most modern implementation of XFCE which is introducing GTK3 capability. I use Oomox-git to make my own themes for it. With an image editor, you can make your own panel and desktop wallpapers to accompany the theme. The Papyrus icon themes look elegant with XFCE.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »
sudo apt install gnome-shell

LOL!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend. I would go with that new Qogir theme that's floating around.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »
I've talked (probably a lot, maybe too much) about mine before, but here goes:

I'm using XFCE with Compiz-Reloaded as my WM and Compositor. I do not have "wallpapers" in any standard sense, instead, I have set Compiz with a 3D model in the "cube" and set the desktops to transparent, so everything on screen is overlaid on the 3D model.

I have six desktops in a six sided cube because that matches the theme of the model. I'm not using any conky's or Cairo Docks or Planks or any of that at this time, but I have two panels... the bottom panel is a fairly standard XFCE "clone of Windows XP" sort of thing... menu, task bottons, system tray and clock. The top panel has weather on the left (with real time basic stats, temp, wind direction and speed, humidity) then on the right net work up and dow speed, cpu speed (averaged across all eight cores) mem usage, uptime,cpu temp, mb temp and wifi signal strength (although I may remove that one since I'm connected on ethernet now)

My icons (which are never shown on the desktop, only in thunar) are "Alienware-Invader"

My window borders I custom made to go with the theme, using Photoshop and Emerald.

Here's a link to a video of what the whole mess looks like... the opening credits are kind of long, so if you want to skip ahead to about 36 seconds (also the video doesn't show the icon set I am using now...)

Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline swarfendor437

• Not f'd:You won't find me on facebook/social media
Re: Re: What are your tips for modernising XFCE?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
sudo apt install gnome-shell

LOL!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend. I would go with that new Qogir theme that's floating around.

You can run gnome-shell on xfce? Does that make the installation heavy with other gnome packages?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
You can run gnome compatible software with XFCE and I am sure there is a way to bloat down your xfce with gnome but I imagine it would look atrocious even if you were successful enough to pull that off... mutter would want to fight for compositing over xfwm4 and I am sure there are a bunch of other fun catastrophes awaiting you... experimentation is KEY! and after you break it, come back to the darkside.... we have FREE COOKIES! 
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 09:44:16 PM »
I was more or less joking since I prefer the glutton of a resource hog GNOME. I've been quite happy, since switching from Ubuntu to Fedora, with the default GNOME theme Adwaita-Dark. I used to LOVE the Yaru theme, a.k.a. Community Theme, and still kinda do. There's a Flat theme that's been around for a while and has been forked several times, mostly into Mac OS X themes. I think it's called Arc, that's a beautiful theme too.

Offline sapphire

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »

1. You can't tell which but my starter preference for future is adapta, numix
    gtk3-engines-xfce is incomplete & break gtk3 layout apps on xfce.
2. Default
3. elementary-xfce-icon-theme
    I never feel right with any flat icon themes I can't recognize without original app icon logo.
    elementary-xfce-icon-theme is skeptical & just right. Any distro that doesn't have this icon
    I'd stay away from them.
4. Standard bottom panel. 
    I can't make stick figure fighting animation on desktop without bottom panel to stand.
5. I do
"Arch Way"?! All ways here are "My Ways!"

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 06:17:06 PM »
Long time no see, Sapphire! How have you been? Sorry... did not mean to hijack this thread! LOLz