Distro HUNT V2 Progress
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Distro HUNT V2 Progress  (Read 327 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Distro HUNT Maintainer Wanted!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
I need some good FREE wordpress plugins which will list all posts in a gallery style. Maybe 3 or 4 columns. Right now there are just 2 categories but I will be making groups for each distribution type and family. When clicked, those need to be laid out in columns... 

I added sufficient content yesterday so that I have a baseline for the framework I am putting together. I am working to make this easier to list projects than the old system this site employed.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 08:59:15 PM »
yes it real purty like now more better then before lol.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »
Thanks to feedback I got on here and MUMBLE, DistroHunt now has a NEW THEME and a nice system for presenting distributions. I am still open to suggestions on features the sute can include...

Remember: We cannot have rankings or comments as we do not wish to be biased. The DH privacy policy is on the FAQ page.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Tony

• Experiment with Linux
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 01:54:37 AM »
The new look is fantastic! On the FAQ section what about updating details of a listed distribution later? You may also emphasis on that.
The use of computer is only limited to your imagination.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 06:41:57 AM »
That was a good suggestion... I added information on updating the listings. Additionally, I have updated the FIRST post in this thread to better explain what I am looking for in maintainers of DistroHunt.

Keep those suggestions coming in, folks! We will make DistroHunt succeed this time where the original version fell short of expectations.  ;D

Offline Tony

• Experiment with Linux
Re: Distro HUNT V2 Progress
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 10:12:37 AM »
Good to hear that! I like that link and research angle that you added to the intial post, it will not onyl make it easy to maintain DistroHunt but also make submissions easy...absolutely like it. 
Once you are ready then here is one volunteer.
The use of computer is only limited to your imagination.

Offline joejohnston3

• Super Supporter
  • Staff Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 04:30:04 PM »
Spatry, I am very impressed and pleased with the channel so far and think it is a great way to give a synopsis of different distros. I will post feedback as needed, while progressing through the channel and videos. Thank you for all your hard work.
Joe Johnston
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.”
― Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
I have been a busy bee... In the past three weeks, 100 videos have been added to the DistroHunt channel on YouTube and I am getting ready to OPEN enrollment for new listings. Before I do that, I need some feedback! How can I make the listing better? What is MISSING? 

I am considering adding a resource page where I will link to any Youtubers who mention DistroHunt on their shows... I will also provide links to other pages well known for providing raw data on distributions which we are unable to cover in our video excerpts. 

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »
I think you should definitely give as much definitive information as possible for distro listings. You should also make the open enrollment require as much information about the distro as possible so that you can easily present the information given to you. The distro creator should explain the use cases, size, and purpose of their distro.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Distro HUNT V2 Progress
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 06:55:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think you should definitely give as much definitive information as possible for distro listings. You should also make the open enrollment require as much information about the distro as possible so that you can easily present the information given to you. The distro creator should explain the use cases, size, and purpose of their distro.
The developer submission form gives the opportunity to give us as much info as possible. Think of DistroHunt as a website with video Linux/BSD/Hurd commercials... If I cannot spark your interest in a distribution in 2 minutes or less, then your OS is probably not worth looking at... I think I have achieved this on the first 100 videos =D