Is the Ryzen 2400G good for Linux?
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
HELP WANTED: Volunteers needed to maintain our Linux Distribution Directory. See the sticky on the DistroHunt board. Thanks.

Author Topic: Is the Ryzen 2400G good for Linux?  (Read 72 times)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician
« on: October 29, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
Hey, folks! I was wondering if the AMD Ryzen 2400G APU has good Linux support or works well in Linux. I know that back in April, Level1 Linux did a video on the Ryzen 2000 series and determined that Linux support for the 2400G wasn't there yet. Seeing how it's been 6 months and Ryzen 2 has been widely accepted by many, I'm wondering if Ryzen with onboard Vega graphics is actually a viable option now. Any ideas, folks? I'm wondering because I have been considering using a Ryzen 2400G in my build:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Is the Ryzen 2400G good for Linux?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
My personal experience has shown that AMD has Excellent support for Linux. It is my understanding that AMD has staff who contribute code to the Linux kernel which is often why the FREE drivers seem to work better for some people than the proprietary blobs. See what the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login website has to say about the hardware you are interested in. Proprietary drivers are probably the better option until the new drivers are incorporated into the FREE driver sets.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
While I cannot speak specifically to the Ryzen question, I will say that I have always had far better luck with any AMD than any Intel when it comes to Linux...

my FX 8350 runs Manjaro like a charm...
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »
While I cannot speak specifically to the Ryzen question, I will say that I have always had far better luck with any AMD than any Intel when it comes to Linux...

my FX 8350 runs Manjaro like a charm...

When I joined this community almost 4 years ago, I used Elementary OS, then Ubuntu, then Manjaro, all on an FX 6300, and that ran quite nicely as well. I have also considered just a regular Ryzen CPU around the same price range and a video card, which I know will work. I will eventually get a video card anyway, but I'm sticking with the 2400G APU graphics for now as I have heard they're some of the best on-board graphics there are, and I'm sure Linux support for the on-board Vega graphics has improved.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:35:42 PM »
When I joined this community almost 4 years ago, I used Elementary OS, then Ubuntu, then Manjaro, all on an FX 6300, and that ran quite nicely as well. I have also considered just a regular Ryzen CPU around the same price range and a video card, which I know will work. I will eventually get a video card anyway, but I'm sticking with the 2400G APU graphics for now as I have heard they're some of the best on-board graphics there are, and I'm sure Linux support for the on-board Vega graphics has improved.

well, at this time I'm running a ATI Raedeon Sapphire 7770 HD that works well on the FX 8350... it's not the greatest card, but it does the job, even with all the Compiz-Reloaded bells and whistles I have going on, I don't really get any screen tearing or anything (although I get occasional flashes of weirdness almost like subliminal ads when running Civilization III in Windows 7 in VirtualBox.) But otherwise, it's been a good card.

Have had a few minor issues with the proprietary Catalyst drivers over the years, so I'm just running the free ones mostly, as they seem to work as well, if not better.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush