Suspend and Reboot issue
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
HELP WANTED: Volunteers needed to maintain our Linux Distribution Directory. See the sticky on the DistroHunt board. Thanks.

Author Topic: Suspend and Reboot issue  (Read 58 times)

Offline MrCoe

Suspend and Reboot issue
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:44:32 PM »
Hello All

I've been having a slight issue with my laptop, i have it tucked away under a stand running with the lid closed on an external monitor. on the 2nd or 3rd suspend the laptop refuses to wake up, similar issue with reboot, it will reboot 2 maybe 3 times then it will hang at the splash screen.

I've followed the arch wiki and added a 8GB swap partition on my laptop but still occurs any ideas ? . 
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Suspend and Reboot issue
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:39:16 AM »
My old computer got moisture (condensation) damage from running the laptop with the lid closed, so I will never run them that way any longer. I do not use suspend or hibernate. I went into bios to disable all power saving features and I made sure all power saving features in the OS are turned off... I have keyboard shortcuts which tell xrandr to turn off or turn on the laptop display. 
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline MrCoe

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »
Hey Spat
Thats good to know, are the xrandr settings your way of sleeping the pc when you go to work or something ?

Kind Regards

Ryan
“The thing with technology is if you do something stupid you can fix it.”

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
Ryan, I just use xrander to put the monitor to sleep... My old laptops have been repurposed to run as servers, I may turn on the display once or twice a month just to check the server output logs for any errors. One thing I have learned in my years of notebook computing is that the CCFL bulbs can burn out and they are a PITA to replace so dimming the display or shutting off the lamps should extend their life... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login topic explains how I used xrandr and some keyboard shortcuts for turning the display on and off... In my particular scenario, I do not want the machines to sleep... EVER... I need them operational 24/7 they just do not need to have their displays on...
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ