Help! about protecting my network.
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
HELP WANTED: Volunteers needed to maintain our Linux Distribution Directory. See the sticky on the DistroHunt board. Thanks.

Author Topic: Help! about protecting my network.  (Read 147 times)

Offline jackfrost09080

Help! about protecting my network.
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:35:21 AM »
Hi guys, just want to know.. how can i protect my network ?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Help! about protecting my network.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »
Welcome to the community. There are a number of things you can do to protect your home network and I will leave this open for others to make suggestions.

I will simply suggest using WPA/PSK and a passphrase with a complicated password. Hackers will often use wordlists to try to hack into your network so always use a combination of UPPER CASE, lower case and Symbols !@#$%^&*() in your passphrase. This makes things difficult for the brute forcing algorithms commonly found in penetration testing software.
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
th4TP@sSw0RdShudBhArd%3#2@&^:":><><? Some routers can let you specify which MAC addresses are allowed to access your network. This is not a perfect solution but it is an extra hoop the hacker needs to jump through...

ALSO... you can use You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as an extra layer of protection.

I invite the community to share their ideas...
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline CwF

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
If we're talking wifi, you can go silent by white listing every device, making sure they all connect with your long nonsense PSK, then turning off broadcast ID.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 10:16:18 PM »
If you are extremely paranoid about it, you can use an old PC and PFSense Linux to make your own super powerful NAS Router.

Just pick up an old PC and stick in a couple Ethernet Cards, and Wifi Adapters, load in PFSense Linux and set it up however you like... ain't nothing going to get past that.

Additionally, you can use the PC's ram as streaming buffer and so forth, set Cron Jobs and do pretty much anything else Linux will do - ON YOUR ROUTER!
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
Re: Re: Help! about protecting my network.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you are extremely paranoid about it, you can use an old PC and PFSense Linux to make your own super powerful NAS Router.
And now I know just how paranoid you really are! I just sit next to my router with a loaded gun and an angry look on my face! Nobody is gonna take a chance! HAH!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Help! about protecting my network.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
Just pick up an old PC and stick in a couple Ethernet Cards, and Wifi Adapters, load in PFSense Linux and set it up however you like... ain't nothing going to get past that.
I was waiting for a response like that to come in... I have known people to do things like that on their home networks. While effective, I think that is overkill... like trying to hit the bullseye on a firing range with a NUCLEAR WEAPON.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Re: Re: Re: Help! about protecting my network.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:52:00 PM »
I was waiting for a response like that to come in... I have known people to do things like that on their home networks. While effective, I think that is overkill... like trying to hit the bullseye on a firing range with a NUCLEAR WEAPON.

You're probably right Spat, but then again, most of us have an old Pentium or dual core AMD lying round gathering dust... scraping up a couple spare wifi cards, wouldn't be all that tough, and downloading PFSense is free...

SO it's not like you're going way "out of pocket" doing it. And as I said, there can be other benefits, like using the routert's RAM as extra buffering, setting Cron jobs to do online stuff for you automatically, intensive packet monitoring  (if need be)

I have often thought of doing it myself, more for the experience than due to paranoia... still might when I find some extra time. I already have most of the hardware I'd need.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline CwF

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help! about protecting my network.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
 And as I said, there can be other benefits,...
I got tired of fixing it, but I used squid for years to help my slow cell access. Having a large cache did help browser response, but from time to time it all would choke up. Squid would fully consume an intel dual core 2.4. I have the dream of adding a VM layer to police the systems net access. I believe it would be more efficient than running an older separate machine, but I'm not there yet. Still working towards my own home-brewed debian based Qubes, and it's supposed to have such a layer...

Offline at54tl

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
  • "Don't let any computer control You, use Linux"
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
I enjoy using Squid and just wandering are using in transparent mode?  I could never get to do that unless of course, I was using like  open source like smoothwall, pfsense and others. On my net, I used the standard proxy (3128) and a few Acess Control Lists eg (ACL)s.

-Luis

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »
I'm doing fine with IP Limiting, MAC Filtering, and Not broadcasting my SSID. It's really all you need in my opinion, that and a strong password.

Offline CwF

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »
I enjoy using Squid and just wandering are using in transparent mode?
No I didn't. It feed a computer that also had local wifi, two channels. If I were to use it now I guess I would want it in transparent mode with a usb wifi in and out a physical eth port in a circle to the host eth0 that feed everything else. That would be instead of a wrt client router I use now. I want a 4 port eth card that can break out to 4 vfio 'cards' before I add an internet cop vm. For other play I'm already tri-homed so I'm out of ports.

Offline at54tl

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
  • "Don't let any computer control You, use Linux"
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 09:04:50 PM »
If you need to fine tune your Squid setup, I recommend you visit this website You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login . Please remember to back up your Squid config file before making configuration change.
-Luis