Top 5 intermediate/advanced Linux distributions
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Top 5 intermediate/advanced Linux distributions  (Read 982 times)

Offline pip5528

• The Pipsqueak!!!
  • Staff Member
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician, gamer
Top 5 intermediate/advanced Linux distributions
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:45:17 AM »
You've already done a top 5 list for beginner distros on a couple occasions, so maybe you could do a video on intermediate and advanced distros as well. I'm sure you've done enough distro hopping over the years to make some suggestions. Of course, even advanced users can make good use of beginner distros, but for people who really want a serious edge, I'd be curious to know what you recommend.

Some potential candidates:
Slackware
Gentoo
Fedora
CentOS
Debian
LFS
Arch

P.S. Sorry about posting multiple suggestions in a short period. I will stop for a while so the thread doesn't get flooded.
My name may be Pip, but I'm not that small!

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
Re: Top 5 intermediate/advanced Linux distributions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:05:29 AM »
I would have to agree that Slackware, LFS and Arch are some of the more difficult distros out there (depending on what tools you use and how handicapped you want to make yourself :P), though  I would have to say that Debian and Fedora are fairly straight forward...

Nonetheless, an "Advanced Linux" series would be kind of cool ;)
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »
If I do such a video I will not cover the distributions in detail... I say Arch is the BEST of the advanced distributions mostly for it's documentation...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Kueller

• Spatry's Security Guard
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 01:23:52 PM »
I do find Arch to have a good combination of things for those wanting to get into more advanced Linux for its documentation. You're very unlikely to get lost.

Fedora is on the easier end (and it's also my main OS) but it doesn't always come with everything so it's less of an out-of-the-box ready to the same level something like Ubuntu and its derivatives are. That would ask for at least a little more than base knowledge.

I wonder how many use LFS as a proper system. I was under the impression it was more a challenge in itself. A chance to get to see how Linux is put together.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
With LFS, I imagine you are in complete control as you build the entire system yourself from source from compiling the kernel to the package manager. I certainly do not have the attention span a LFS build would require.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!